- Begin the writing process as soon as you get your assignment. Writing takes time. The best writers take their writing through countless revisions.
- Bring your assignment sheet to the writing center. The purpose of an academic paper will vary according to the instructor and discipline.
- Consider your audience. Remember that topic, purpose, and audience intertwine when writing a paper.
- Pre-writing strategies help you begin writing and often narrow your thesis.
- Students who have trouble beginning an assignment are encouraged to organize their thoughts through brainstorming and mind-mapping techniques to help them begin the writing process. Come to the writing center to find out more!
- Write consistently in one style (MLA, APA, Chicago, etc.).
- Make time for revising, editing, and proofreading.