General Information

Course Catalog

History of NMSU Alamogordo

New Mexico State University Alamogordo (NMSU-A) is situated in the foothills, at the base of the Sacramento Mountains. This vantage point overlooks the city of Alamogordo and the Tularosa Basin. The service area of the school includes Holloman Air Force Base (HAFB), White Sands Missile Range, and stretches beyond the view to include the Mescalero Apache Reservation and approximately twenty villages and towns in Otero County. Much of the south central New Mexico region benefits from the convenient location of the campus.

NMSU-A was established in 1958 with an initial enrollment of 278 students. The classes were held at night on the Alamogordo High School campus. The objective of this post‑secondary educational venture was to serve the military and civilian personnel from HAFB, as well as students from the local non‑military population.

Over the years enrollment has expanded to a present population of over 3500 students. At the same time, the number and the character of students’ objectives have also grown. The basic two‑year traditional university-credited education has been expanded and enriched. NMSU-A has evolved from offering only two‑year traditional education courses to providing occupational/technical programs and courses for personal enrichment as well as selected bachelor completion programs through New Mexico State University (NMSU) Las Cruces Distance Education.

NMSU-A is a two-year community college campus dedicated to the concept of high-quality, cost-effective education that meets the needs of a diverse community. While some students continue to value the long established core courses, others seek alternatives to the traditional liberal arts education. Every possible effort is being made at NMSU-A to keep programs and curricula flexible in order to accommodate varied and expanding community educational needs.

Mission of the College

The mission of New Mexico State University Alamogordo is to provide quality learning opportunities for individuals in the diverse communities we serve.


NMSU-A is accredited by the North Central Association of Colleges and Schools. The latest accreditation visit to the campus by the Higher Learning Commission of the North Central Association was in April 2003. The North Central Association of Colleges and Schools may be contacted at the Higher Learning Commission, 230 South LaSalle Street, Suite 7-500, Chicago, IL 60604-1411, (800) 621-7440, or

The Nursing Program is approved by the New Mexico Albuquerque, NM 87110, (505-841-8340), www.bon.state. The Nursing Program is accredited by The National League for Nursing Accrediting Commission, Inc. (NLNAC), 3343 Peachtree Road, NE, Suite 850, Atlanta, Georgia 30326, (404) 975-5000, The NLNAC is the accrediting agency for nursing programs and has been since 1997. The NLNAC may be contacted for information regarding the accreditation status of the New Mexico State University Alamogordo Nursing Program.

NMSU Campuses

The purposes of NMSU’s community college campuses are to make two years of college education available to students in their home environment; to provide a high quality program of education for all students, both full-time and part-time; and to provide career technical courses.

The community colleges provide lower division general education courses of the same quality and kind as are offered on the Las Cruces campus. Courses offered for transfer credit are coordinated with the appropriate department and college at the Las Cruces campus, can be transferred to other two-year and four-year colleges and universities, and are consistent with Veterans Administration and Social Security Administration regulations. Students attending a community college of NMSU are enrolled as New Mexico State University students and may change campuses if they meet Las Cruces campus admissions requirements.

Associate Degree Programs

In addition to taking basic courses toward a bachelor degree, NMSU-A students can pursue the following associate degrees
and certificates:
Note: The degree plans in this catalog are effective Summer, 2012 and are in effect through the spring semester 2018.


3D Computer Animation

Biomedical Electronics Technology

Business Office Technology*


Construction Technologies Electrical Option

Electronics Technology

Fire Science (moratorium on new students)

General Studies

Graphic Design

Information Technology

Medical Office Technology*** (moratorium on new students)

Occupational Business

Paralegal Studies



Criminal Justice

Early Childhood


Fine Arts

General Engineering

Heritage Interpretation

Nursing (Limited Entry Program)



Social Services

*3 Concentrations: Accounting, Administrative Assistant, &


**4 Concentrations: Game Programming, Microcomputer Applications, Microcomputer Technology, & Web Mastery

***3 Concentrations: Medical Transcription. Medical Coding, & Medical Office Assistant

Certificate Programs

NMSU-A also offers Certificate Programs:
Advanced Photo Voltaic Installation

Business Office Technology

Electrical Apprenticeship

Emergency Medical (EMT) Services

Game Programming

Graphic Design

Heritage Interpretation

Legal Assistant

Microcomputer Applications

Microcomputer Technology

Network Specialist

Photographic Technology

Photo Voltaic Entry level Grid-Tie

Web Mastery

Gainful Employment Disclosure: At public and private not-for-profit institutions, gainful employment programs are Title IV-eligible certificate programs. Effective July 1, 2011, the U.S. Department of Education requires schools with Gainful Employment programs to disclose certain information about these programs. This information can be found at

Online Classes: For student wanting to earn college credits but whose busy lifestyle doesn’t permit them to take all classes in a face-to-face setting, NMSU Alamogordo offers a wide variety of online classes. Students interested in the online delivery system should consult the current Schedule of Classes or go online to for a complete listing of those classes.

Limited Entry Programs

Abitur Program
Family members of German military stationed at HAFB can complete the Associate of Arts and the Abitur requirements concurrently at NMSU‑A. The Abitur program was jointly designed by NMSU‑A and the German Air Force to bridge the differences between the German and American educational systems. It was initially approved in 1997 and was formally approved by the German Ministry of Education in October 2002. For further information regarding admissions requirements, contact the Admissions Coordinator located in the Student Services Building. Once admitted to the university, visit with an Academic Advisor for degree and course information.

Nursing Program
The Nursing program is a limited entry program. Special applications are required and can be obtained from the nursing department or the Advising Office. In addition to meeting regular undergraduate admissions requirements, students must be selected into this program.


A student may be accepted for undergraduate admission to NMSU-A as 1) a degree-seeking student or 2) a nondegree student under the policies and conditions as set forth in this section.

I. Degree (Regular) Status:

A. Regular Admission (first time at any college)

Requirements for admission as a regular student include the following:

  • Formal application for admission. A $20 non-refundable admission fee.
  • An official transcript of the student’s high school credits or General Education Development (GED) scores. Transcripts must be sent directly from the high school or GED Testing Center to:

NMSU Alamogordo

Admissions and Records Office

2400 N. Scenic Drive

Alamogordo, NM 88310

Note: If the high school transcripts or GED test results do not provide adequate information for a final admissions decision, NMSU-A may require the applicant to submit official results of the American College Testing (ACT) Program test battery.

Qualifications for admission to New Mexico State University Alamogordo include:

  • Graduation from any state high school or academy in the United States accredited by a regional accrediting association or approved by a state department of education or state universities, or
  • A minimum of a GED diploma.
  • Home-Schooled Admissions Requirements
    • Submit an admissions application.
    • Submit a Home-Schooled transcript containing the following: courses completed by grade level, grades earned in each course, credit earned for each course, signature of Home-School educator verifying the information, and a completion or graduation date from a Home-Schooled program. (If the student is enrolled in a correspondence course where the school will furnish a high school transcript, then an official transcript will be accepted from the correspondence school in place of the Home-School Evaluation Form.)
    • Submit the “Notification of Establishment of a Home-School PED 542-99a” Form. This form is to be submitted by the parent to the local school district to notify the district in which their child is being home-schooled. This is required by the State of New Mexico.

Note: New Mexico Home-School programs are currently not approved by the State Department of Education. New Mexico home-schooled students, who wish to be considered for Financial Aid and Scholarship programs, are encouraged to complete the New Mexico GED during their senior year in order to meet the Ability to Benefit criteria or he/she can still qualify by passing a State Department-approved test, called an ability-to-benefit test. The test must be independently administered in accordance with State Department regulations. For more information, visit the NMSU web site at

Student Holds

Academic Advisor’s Hold: All students who are new to the NMSU‑A campus and all students classified as freshmen (including transfer students) must see an Advisor to have their New or Freshman Student Hold lifted. This is to assure that beginning students have selected appropriate classes that meet their placement assessment results, have met prerequisites, and are aware of the services available to them. Holds are lifted in the office of Advising & Career Services. Students may contact an Advisor by phone (439-3720), by email at, or in person in the Advising Office in Student Services. Freshman Interest Inventory Hold: Incoming degree-seeking freshman are required to complete a career interest inventory, before or during their first semester, in order to be eligible for second semester registration. Students are required to bring a copy of the interest inventory results to an Academic Advisor for course and degree planning. The interest inventory currently being used by NMSU-A (CHOICES) is accessible online or through Advising & Career Services. Information on the web site and password to take the inventory is available in the Advising Office or on the NMSU-A web site at Holds will be lifted upon completion of the interest inventory, selection of a potential career and therefore a major, and subsequent meeting with an Academic Advisor.

B. Transfer Admission

  • Formal application for admission. A $20 non-refundable admission fee payable upon application).
  • Transfer students from other colleges or universities may be admitted to NMSU-A if they have at least a C (2.0) cumulative grade point average (GPA) and are eligible to return to the college or university last attended.
  • Transfer students from other colleges or universities must submit a degree (regular) application, an official transcript from all colleges previously attended (this includes Community College of the Air Force), and an official copy of their high school or GED transcript.
  • High school transcripts and GED scores will be waived when a student has completed 30 academic semester hours at a previously attended regionally accredited college/university. However, these transcripts may be required for Financial Aid.

Any transfer student who has less than a 2.0 cumulative GPA from his/her previous college(s) and/or vocational school(s) must submit a letter of appeal to the Admissions Appeal Board for admission to NMSU-A. Once a student is admitted to NMSU-A and registered, transcripts are forwarded to the Registrar’s Office at NMSU Las Cruces for evaluation.

Transcripts: All transcripts must be sent directly to the NMSU-A Admissions & Records Office by the Registrar of each institution attended. A student who conceals the fact that he/she has attended another college or university and who does not have the Registrar submit a transcript for each institution, whether or not credit was earned, will be subject to immediate suspension.

Transfer of Credits at NMSU: NMSU evaluates courses from post-secondary institutions that are regionally accredited or are candidates for regional accreditation. Transfer students will receive full credit for course work completed with a grade of C or better, provided the classes are similar or equivalent to courses offered at NMSU. A transfer student may, on the basis of an evaluation of his or her transcripts, receive credit for courses taken at other institutions in which a grade of D was received. However, NMSU does not accept the transfer of courses with D grades that satisfy basic academic competency (basic skills) in English and mathematics. NMSU will not accept transfer credit for four-credit basic skills courses (such as ENGL 111G and CCDM 114N) when the incoming course carries less than three credit hours. Also, colleges or departments may choose to accept only courses graded C or higher in their programs for both transfer and native students. Any lower-division course from another institution receiving transfer credit from NMSU at the 300 or above level will still count as a lower-division course. Transcripts will be re-evaluated when students transfer from one NMSU college to another.

Each college determines which transferred courses are applicable toward a degree or a minor.

Grades earned in courses taken at other institutions are not included in the calculation of the NMSU GPA, except for grades earned by approved National Student Exchange students.

Evaluation of Transfer Credits: Once a student is admitted to NMSU-A, transcripts are forwarded to the Registrar’s Office at NMSU Las Cruces for evaluation. Credits from non-accredited institutions may be evaluated by the student’s academic dean after the student has completed two semesters in full-time status with satisfactory grades. CLEP credits, DANTES, USAFI, transfer, and course challenge credits cannot be used as part of the student’s last 15 semester credits of an associate degree. No more than six credits of courses in religion will be transferred

Transferring Courses to Fulfill the New Mexico General Education Common Core: During the 2005 New Mexico Legislative session, Senate Bill 161, consistent with requirements of state law (Chapter 224 of the Laws of New Mexico, 1995 as amended) was signed into law to further enhance and facilitate the articulation of general education courses among New Mexico’s colleges and universities. In accordance with policies established by the New Mexico Higher Education Department, designated general education core courses successfully completed at any regionally accredited public institution of higher education in New Mexico are guaranteed to transfer to any New Mexico public institution. Students who have decided on a major and/ or an institution at which to complete their studies should consult with an Academic Advisor at that particular institution to determine the most appropriate course selections. Students enrolling for the first year of study at a New Mexico college or university and considering possible transfer into a certificate and/or degree program at another institution are encouraged to take the courses approved for transfer during their freshman and sophomore years of study.

The core matrix of approved courses guaranteed to transfer and meet general education requirements at any New Mexico college or university can be found on the New Mexico Higher Education Department web site at Courses are listed by institution, whether university or community college, under each of the five general education areas. The courses for New Mexico State University are listed in the required courses section of this catalog.

Student Responsibility: Planning for effective transfer with maximum efficiency is ultimately the student’s responsibility. Responsible transfer planning includes early and regular consultation with the intended degree-granting institution to assure that all pre-transfer coursework will meet the requirements of the desired degree.

Transfer Credit Appeal Process: All New Mexico public post-secondary institutions are required to establish policies and practices for receiving and resolving complaints from students or from other complainants regarding the transfer of coursework from other public institutions in the state. A copy of NMSU’s transfer credit policy may be obtained from the Office of the Registrar or from the Deputy Secretary for Academic Affairs, Higher Education Department, 2048 Galisteo St., Santa Fe, NM 87505-2100.

Out-of-State Students and Legal Jurisdiction: By applying for admission/enrollment, both the student and parents agree that New Mexico law prevails and all litigation will be in federal court in New Mexico or in state court in Dona Ana County, New Mexico.

II. Nondegree Status:

Nondegree admission is designed to meet the needs of part‑time students who do not wish to pursue a degree at this university.

Note: Courses taken in this status may not be used to meet
regular admission requirements.

Students on nondegree status are not eligible to receive financial aid or student employment; nor are they eligible to participate in student government or intercollegiate athletics; nor are they eligible to receive benefits from any veterans’ program.

Students interested in using nondegree credit for initial teacher certification or recertification in a new field need to contact the College of Education. Transcripts from previous institutions, high school, and/or results of college entrance exams may be required to assure readiness for university-level courses. A $20 non-refundable, nondegree application fee is required.

Nondegree students are subject to the same university regulations as regular students.

Nondegree students may not transfer more than 30 credits from this status to any undergraduate degree program with the exception of students participating in a high school concurrent enrollment program.

Students must certify they are high school graduates or have obtained a GED diploma and that they are eligible to return to any previously attended college or university.

Transcripts from previous institutions, high school transcript, GED test scores, and/or results of college entrance/placement exams may be required to assure readiness for NMSU‑A courses.

Nondegree Special Admission Programs for High
School Students

Dual Credit for High School Students:
Dual Credit for High School Students: Students who attend a public high school, a charter school, or a state supported school are required to participate in a college experience if their entrance to high school is 2009-2010 school year or later. High school students may complete the requirement by taking: 1) an Honors course, 2) an Advanced Placement (AP) course, 3) an Online course through the high school and/ or, 4) an approved Dual Credit college course at NMSU-A. This program is designed to enhance and supplement the high school curriculum, not duplicate or replace it; therefore, there may be limitations on class choice.

High School students who wish to take college courses at NMSU-A must meet the following requirements: Sophomores with a 3.75 or better GPA for academic courses; 2.5 GPA or higher for technical/vocational courses. Juniors and Seniors with a 3.0 GPA or higher for academic courses; 2.0 GPA or higher for technical/vocational courses. The course a student is allowed to take is based on their GPA, placement assessment results, and the courses authorized by their high school. All first-time Dual Credit students will be required to take COLL 101 (College/Life Success) as their first course before any other courses can be taken.

Students participating in this program at NMSU-A will have their tuition and general fees waived by the college. Students will be responsible for lab fees and any other course specific fees. For approved courses (each high school will have a specific list), students must visit with the Dual Credit college Advisor. Grades for courses taken at the college will be sent to the appropriate high school and are required to be transcribed on the high school transcript.

Early Admit: High school students attending a private school may participate through the Early Admit Program. Also, high school students who wish to take college courses but do not want their grade on the high school transcript, may also be admitted as Early Admit students. These students must meet the same eligibility requirements as Dual Credit students (see above). However, these students will be required to pay their tuition, fees, and purchase the book for the class.

Home-schooled students who choose to participate in college courses must meet the same requirements mentioned above and will be required to pay their tuition, fees, and purchase the book. These students will be required to provide the college with a graded transcript. This transcript must provide a graded (A-F) transcript showing courses, course levels, grade level, and grades signed by the home-schooled program evaluator. Students must also meet the GPA requirements for each grade level

Early Admit:

High school students who wish to take college courses but do not want their grade on the high school transcript must meet the same eligibility requirements as Dual Credit students (see above). However, these students will be required to pay their tuition, fees, and purchase the book for the class.


Former students of New Mexico State University who have not attended an NMSU campus for four consecutive terms are required to make formal application for readmission. Applications must be submitted to the Admission & Records Office at least five working days prior to registration. Readmission does not require an additional admission fee.

1. Readmission to Degree (Regular) Status

A student who is seeking readmission and whose last NMSU admission status was degree-seeking (regular), must complete a degree-seeking readmission form. Additionally, if the student has attended other institutions during an absence from NMSU, the student must have official transcripts forwarded directly to the Admissions & Records Office by the registrar of each institution and must be eligible to return to the college or university last attended. Academic admission status at the time of readmission will normally be determined by previous NMSU academic standing. However, academic performance at other institutions attended during the applicant’s absence from NMSU may be considered when determining the student’s academic admission status.

2. Readmission to Nondegree Status

A student who is seeking readmission and who previously attended NMSU‑A under a nondegree admission status must complete a nondegree readmission form. However, if the student wants to be readmitted under a degree (regular) status, the student must request a change-of-status at the time of readmission.

A grade report or unofficial transcript from previous institutions may be required at the time of readmission to show eligibility to return to colleges/universities previously attended.

Change of Admission Status

A nondegree student in good academic standing (2.0 GPA or above) may apply for change‑of‑status from nondegree to degree (regular) admission by completing a change‑of‑status application and meeting the requirements for degree (regular) admission status. Nondegree students may not apply more than 30 credits earned under the nondegree status to any NMSU undergraduate degree program.

All documents required for the change‑of‑status must be in the Admissions & Records Office by the dates posted in the current semester schedule. If all documentation is not received by that date, then the change-of-status will be reviewed for processing the next semester of the student’s enrollment.

Any transfer student who has less than a 2.0 cumulative grade point average from his/her previous college(s) and/or vocational school(s) must submit a letter of appeal to the Admissions Appeal Board for a change-of-status to degree seeking.

International Student Admission

The general policies of the university as outlined in this catalog apply to international as well as domestic students. However, some special policies required by federal laws apply only to international students. Some admission and tuition exceptions have been developed for international military and their family members stationed in New Mexico. Contact the Admissions Coordinator for details.

An international student is any individual attending NMSU while present in the United States on a non-immigrant student visa. Legal immigrants or refugees must present documentation of their status either to Admissions or the International Student Services (ISS) office on the NMSU Las Cruces campus.
U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS)

Some of the more important rules as established by the United States Department of Homeland Security are:

1. Each student must maintain full-time student status for both the fall and spring semesters. This requires completion of a minimum of 12 credits for each undergraduate student per semester.

2. International students may not work off campus without authorization. On-campus employment may be authorized under certain conditions.

3. All international students must maintain an up-to-date record in the Office of Student Services. This record must indicate the student’s current living address and local phone number.

4. Prior to admission, a prospective international student must demonstrate the following:

  • Academic ability to succeed in the chosen course of study;
  • Adequate financial support to complete the chosen course of study; and
  • Adequate command of the English language to maintain legal status as a full-time student for the fall and spring semesters.

University Procedures for International Students

Scholastic Ability

1. Prospective undergraduates must have completed a minimum of 12 years of schooling and/or submit official diploma or completion certificate.

2. Official transcripts showing the classes taken and grades earned for the school years 10, 11, and 12 must be submitted. No hand-carried documents will be accepted, unless received in a sealed envelope.

3. The scholastic average for the last three years of high school must be equivalent to 2.5. International students are not admitted on a probationary basis.

4. Graduation from a high school in the United States does not automatically qualify a international student for admission to NMSU. The student must also submit official transcripts from his/her international secondary school.

Financial Support

1. Each prospective international student must submit a current financial support document with his or her application.

2. This document must show that 1) the person providing the financial support has the necessary funds, and 2) the funds can be transferred from the student’s home country to the United States.

No financial aid is available from NMSU. The university reserves the right to demand advance deposit of funds for any period deemed reasonable prior to granting admission. An international student can never qualify for residency and must pay nonresident fees.

Per New Mexico Senate Bill No. 375, foreign military and their family members who are stationed in New Mexico through the NATO agreement may be classified as in-state for tuition purposes.

English Language Proficiency

NMSU requires a score of 520 (paper-based)/173 (computer-based)/61 (internet-based) or better on the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) for all international students, both nondegree and degree-seeking. A waiver of the TOEFL requirement may be considered for:

1. Students who are native speakers of English.

2. Students completing high school in the United States who (a) have attended the high school for at least two full semesters and (b) have scored in at least the 75th percentile in English on the American College Testing (ACT) program. Students admitted to the community college campus without the required ACT score in English may request a waiver if they have attended high school in the United States for two full years and have graduated from the high school.

3. Students transferring from a junior college, college, or university in the United States who have earned a minimum of 30 acceptable semester credits (45 acceptable quarter credits) with a GPA of 2.5 or better. Acceptable credit means classes that require a high proficiency in both written and oral English.

4. Students demonstrating English language proficiency by methods accepted by International Programs (IP).

5. Students enrolling in certain programs where English language proficiency is not required.

The university reserves the right to require any prospective international student to meet the TOEFL requirement.

For complete information concerning the TOEFL examination, applicants should review the following website

International students are not admitted to the university for the sole purpose of studying English.

Prior to enrollment, each international student is administered an English screening examination. Based on the results, the student is either assigned to one of the special English classes for international students or is excused from special English instruction. The student may then be required to complete one or more regular English classes as required for a particular degree. Completion of basic English courses at other U.S. institutions does not automatically satisfy this requirement.

Admission Restrictions

Although NMSU does not set a quota for the total number of international students, there may be several factors that would prohibit admission even though the person meets all general requirements.

1. The dean of a chosen college and the department head of a chosen major or the President of a community college campus may refuse to grant admission.

2. There may be a disproportionate number of international students or a disproportionate number of a particular nationality in one department or college.

3. Academic Advisors may not be available.

4. International students may be nondegree if admitted as exchange students, or as part of a special program, or as holders of visas that allow incidental studies related to their current non-immigrant status.

5. Non-native speakers of English normally are not admitted for summer sessions.

6. University community college campuses reserve the right to refuse admission to international students if the appropriate immigration and English-language support services are not available.

7. Preference for admission to the community college campuses is shown to students who graduate from high school in the United States.

8. University community college campuses reserve the right to set limits on the number of international

students admitted to their respective campuses based on the percentage of international students within an academic program.

All application materials, including the application for admission; letters of recommendation; all transcripts or national examination scores and/or transcripts from colleges or universities (with an English translation); all test scores including the TOEFL; and proof of adequate financial support must be submitted to the NMSU-A Office of Admissions & Records for:

Fall semester …………………………………………………… by March 1

Spring semester …………………………………………….. by October 1

Miscellaneous Regulations

1. All international students must have health insurance. Students who do not purchase insurance from NMSU must present evidence of similar coverage to IP office. Students without insurance will not be allowed to register.

2. Upon arrival on campus new international students are not permitted to register until all IP requirements are met, including attending orientation and taking the English screening examination.

3. All international students are required to carry a minimum of 12 credits (exception can be made for international military stationed in New Mexico and their dependents).

Tuition, Fees, And Other Expenses

The published costs are for one semester. The university reserves the right to change any of the charges without notice. Updated information is in the current semester Schedule of Classes.

Tuition and Fees
RESIDENTS In-District (NM residents living in ZIP CODE areas of 88310, 88311, 88325, 88330, 88337, 88342) Full‑time enrollment (12‑18 credits) per semester $948.00 ($75.00 Tuition per credit plus $4.00 Student Fee per credit) Total cost per credit $79.00 Each credit over 18 credits – $79.00 per credit

Part‑time enrollment (1‑11 credits) – per credit $79.00 ($75.00 Tuition per credit plus $4.00 Student Fee per credit)

RESIDENTS Out‑of‑District (NM residents not living in the In- District ZIP CODES listed above.) Full-time enrollment (12-18 credits) per semester $1128.00 ($90.00 Tuition per credit plus $4.00 Student Fee per credit) Total cost per credit – $94.00 Each credit over 18 credits – $94.00 per credit

Part-time enrollment (1-11 credits) per credit – $94.00 ($90.00 Tuition per credit plus $4.00 Student Fee per credit)

Full‑time enrollment (12‑18 credits) per semester $2,544.00 ($208.00 Tuition per credit plus $4.00 Student Fee per credit) Each credit over 18 credits – $212.00 per credit

Part‑time enrollment (7‑11 credits) per credit – $212.00 ($208.00 Tuition per credit plus $4.00 Student Fee per credit)

Part-time enrollment (1-6 credits*) – per credit $94.00
($90.00 Tuition per credit plus $4.00 Student Fee per credit) *During a regular semester, non-resident students enrolling for 6 or less credits are charged out-of-district resident tuition rates.

Full-time enrollment (12-18 credits) per semester $948.00 ($75.00 Tuition per credit plus $4.00 Student Fee per credit) Each credit over 18 credits – $79.00 per credit Part-time enrollment (1-11 credits) – per credit $79.00 ($75.00 Tuition per credit plus $4.00 Student Fee per credit)

Additional Fees
The following are ADDITIONAL FEES that will be assessed to the student.

Payment Plan Fee:
Students who have not paid tuition and fees in full by the prescribed date will be accessed a payment plan fee of $20. See the Schedule of Classes for specific dates.

Matriculation Fee:
$20 first time NMSU students (non-refundable) $50 first time international students (non-refundable)

Late Registration Fee: $25 assessed for late registration (non-refundable)

Degree Application Fee:
$25 for each associate degree $10 for each certificate

Late Degree Application Fee:
$25 additional fee (non-refundable)

Late Degree Application Fee:
$25 additional fee (non-refundable)

Lab Fees:
Various courses have lab fees attached. Check the current Schedule of Classes for appropriate fee schedule.

Online course fee:
Each credit of an online course has an additional $10.00 fee.

Student Printer Usage Fee:
A special general student printer usage fee will be assessed at the rate of $0.05 per black & white page, $0.25 per color page, and $0.10 per duplex page. At the beginning of the academic year (August) every student receives $10.00 (200 pages) free. Students who enroll for only the spring semester will receive $5.00 (100 pages) free. Students who enroll for summer classes will receive $5.00 (100 pages) free. Additional printing may be purchased at the Business Office. All printing accounts will be terminated at the end of the academic year (May) and at the end of the summer (August) with no reimbursement of unused funds.

These printer access and printing fees apply to general printing carried out in the computer lab, library, and academic support center. Printing, as a requirement in the classroom, will be covered under applicable class fees rather than general fees.

Students will be prompted before the job is sent to the printer and will be able to check the status of funds remaining in their account.

Resident, Non-Resident Status: Resident or nonresident
status shall be determined according to a uniform definition established for all New Mexico institutions by the New Mexico Higher Education Department and administered by the Registrars of the various institutions. Additional information is available in the Office of Admissions & Records in the Student Services Building

Non-resident active duty and foreign military personnel stationed in New Mexico and their family members are considered in-district for tuition purposes. Active duty personnel and their dependents who attend NMSU or one of its community colleges for the first time or who return after an absence from NMSU must pick up an Application for Active Duty Military Tuition Residence from the HAFB Education Office or the Office of Admissions & Records and return the completed application to the NMSU‑A Admissions & Records Office or the NMSU‑A office at HAFB at the time of admission or readmission.

Senior Citizen Discount: New Mexico residents who are 65 or older may attend New Mexico State University at reduced tuition rates. Admission to the University is required and all other student fees apply. Individuals must apply and qualify for this program through the NMSU-A Admissions and Records Office. The cost is $5 Tuition per credit plus $4 Student Fee per credit (Total cost per credit, $9); additional fees such as course or lab fees may apply. Senior citizens may register for a maximum of six (6) credits at the reduced rate. Per state law, senior citizens who take more than 6 credits must pay full price for all credits based on in-district or out-ofdistrict residency. Contact the Admissions & Records Office for more information.

Late Registration Penalties: A late registration penalty of $25 will be assessed for course registrations processed during a term’s late registration time period. Failure to make scheduled payment with the University Accounts Receivable on due dates may result in additional liability.

Payment of Charges: By enrolling in classes at NMSU, a student makes a financial commitment to pay the tuition and fee charges associated with that enrollment. The enrollment action constitutes a financial obligation between the student and NMSU and all proceeds of this agreement will be used for education purposes and constitutes an education loan pursuant to 11 U.S.C. § 523(a) (8). Terms and Conditions of Course Registration are posted on the NMSU website and available in each term’s Schedule of Classes. Payments can be made by mail, web, telephone, or in person at the Business Office. Cash, checks, money orders and limited types of credit cards are accepted. Term charges can be paid in full or paid by using a payment plan. Students utilizing the payment plan for Fall and Spring terms will have the balance due in four equal monthly installments within the term. Summer terms have two installments within the term. A payment plan fee of $20.00 is assessed to students using the plan for each campus enrolled. All financial aid received must be paid towards balances owed. Additional penalty charges may be assessed for failure to make payments when due. NMSU-A reserves the right to deny a payment plan to any student who has a poor credit rating or who has been negligent in making payments to the University for previous debts. Course reservations may be cancelled if payment arrangements for past due dates are not completed by the deadlines as outlined in a term’s Schedule of Classes. Academic credits, transcripts, and diplomas will be withheld until all financial obligations are paid. Students are prohibited from registering for a term until all previous debts due to the University are paid in full.

Tuition Adjustments, Refund, and Forfeitures: Any student officially dropping or withdrawing from a course or courses during a term may receive tuition and fee adjustments as outlined in the current class schedule. Lab fees are refundable in full but only during the 100% refund period. No tuition adjustments will be made on classes of less than five weeks’ duration unless the student withdraws from the course prior to the first day of class; no refunds will be given after the class begins. Non-attendance does not constitute official course drop or withdrawal. All charges due to the University must be paid before refunds will be permitted.

In cases of academic or disciplinary suspension, eligibility for tuition adjustments will depend on the conditions of the suspension and will be entirely at the option of the university. Should unforeseen circumstances beyond the reasonable control of the University result in curtailing classes or otherwise withdrawing services that are a normal function of NMSU, refunds of any nature will be at the discretion of the University administration.

Dishonored Financial Transactions-Checks,
Credit Cards, ACH Transactions:
The university charges a penalty on all dishonored cash instruments. Personal checks will not be accepted from students who have had previously dishonored checks.

Financial Aid

The mission of the Office of Student Financial Aid and Scholarship Services is to improve access to higher education by providing comprehensive financial assistance and information to all students and the NMSU-A community. Although primary responsibility for educational costs rests with the student and his/her family, NMSU-A, the federal government, and the state of New Mexico all contribute to assist students pursuing higher education.

The Financial Aid Office administers an extensive program of grants, scholarships, and loans. The awarding of grants and loans is based on need, while the awarding of scholarships is based mainly on academic ability and, in some cases, financial need. Assistance in the form of work is available through the Federal College Work-Study Program and the New Mexico
Work-Study Program.

All financial aid awards are based on information provided by the student and parents, availability of funds, and eligibility requirements. Any award may be revised based on changes in enrollment, cost of attendance, family contribution, or failure to meet satisfactory academic progress. Withdrawals
or reductions in enrollment may affect an award or any future awards. Financial aid will not pay for audited courses.

The student should apply annually for financial assistance by March 1. To apply, students must complete the FAFSA application online at

Generally, eligibility requirements to receive financial aid are as follows:

1. Only students who are U.S. citizens, nationals, or permanent residents are eligible to apply for financial aid.

2. Students must be in good academic standing and must be making satisfactory progress toward a degree.

3. Be enrolled or accepted for enrollment as a regular student working toward a degree or certificate in an eligible program.

4. Be a U.S. citizen or eligible noncitizen (state funded scholarships are available to undocumented students).

5. Have a valid Social Security number (SSN) or an alien registration number. If you don’t have an SSN, you can find out more about applying for one at

6. Make satisfactory academic progress.

7. Sign a statement on the FAFSA certifying that you will use federal student aid only for educational purposes.

8. Sign a statement on the FASFA certifying that you are not in default on a federal student loan and that you do not owe money back on a federal student grant.

9. Register with the Selective Service, if required.

Note: Financial Aid is paid at the beginning of each term. Aid will not be paid for any courses added after the census date. Students will be billed for courses they drop or do not attend if a change of enrollment status results.

The Financial Aid Office provides support services for students who wish to apply for financial aid. The Financial Aid Office awards funds from federal programs that include the Pell Grant, the Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant, Leveraging Educational Assistance Partnership, Work-Study, and Direct Loan. State grant and work-study programs are also available. Students can check the status of their files and accept or decline awards available online through their student online account at

Financial Aid Satisfactory Academic Progress:

Federal regulations require that financial aid recipients meet certain academic standards to be eligible for federal financial aid. To ensure that financial aid recipients are making satisfactory academic progress, academic transcripts are reviewed at the end of each term to determine eligibility for the next term. All terms of attendance are reviewed, including periods in which the student did not receive financial aid. All transfer work is taken into account when satisfactory progress is reviewed.

1. Qualitative Progress: Undergraduate students must maintain a cumulative GPA of at least 2.0 (a C average).

2. Completion Rate: Students must complete a minimum of 67 percent of all course work (registered credit hours) attempted at NMSU. Any course with a grade of withdraw (W), incomplete (I), repeats (RR), failure (F), audit (AU), or no credit (NC) is not considered completed course work. Repeated courses are included in the calculation.

3. Maximum Time Frame: Students must complete their program within 150 percent of the credit hours required by the program. Students who have reached the maximum allowable time will be suspended from receiving financial aid. Developmental/remedial hours are excluded from this calculation. Total attempted hours including repeated courses and transfer course work are included in the student’s maximum time frame calculation.

Financial Aid Suspension:

Students are suspended from receiving financial aid if they do not meet satisfactory academic progress standards. Students on financial aid suspension will not receive any form of federal or state financial aid (grants, loans, work-study). Financial aid eligibility is reinstated when all standards of satisfactory progress are met.

The Appeals Process:

Students suspended from financial aid may appeal the suspension if there are mitigating circumstances affecting their progress. Students who would like to appeal the suspension must submit an appeal form available at and all required documentation to the Office of Student Financial Aid. A committee will review the appeal and may grant reinstatement of financial aid based on mitigating circumstances that directly contributed to deficient academic performance. Appeals are evaluated on a term-by-term basis.

Resources For Students


Academic Support Center: The Academic Support Center offers free assistance in writing, accounting, reading, various sciences, and mathematics. Tutors are available to assist students with problems or concerns that they may have
in any of these subject areas. The Academic Support Center has day, evening, and weekend hours. The writing center also provides an online writing center service to students.

Adult Basic Education: The Adult Basic Education (ABE) program of NMSU‑A provides services and instruction to adults in GED, English as a Second Language (ESL), basic reading, math, English, work place skills, vocabulary development, basic computer skills, and citizenship in group classes or on an individual basis. Assessments and GED pretests are given at the ABE Office on an individual basis. The Literacy Volunteers of America, Otero County Literacy Council, Inc., in partnership with ABE Advisory Board (sponsored by the ABE program), can provide volunteer tutors to work one-to-one with adult non-readers and non-English speaking adults. All these services are provided free of charge to adults. Adult Basic Education is located in the Tays Center (575) 439-3815.

Degree Audit: Students have access to the Degree Audit System (STAR) available through their student online account at To self check progress toward a degree, students must select the college, the degree, and the year they meet the requirements. See an Advisor for assistance, if necessary.

Distance Learning Education: NMSU‑A delivers many courses in a web-based format. Additionally, courses are offered face-to-face in Alamogordo, Cloudcroft, Tularosa, Mescalero, HAFB, and area high schools. Some upper-division classes are received by NMSU‑A through two-way interactive video technology. Check the current course schedule for the availability of web-based, off-campus, interactive video, and NMSU face-to-face distance education offerings. Classes and workshops for community organizations are received by satellite (KU and C Band) and interactive video. For detailed information on distance education and weekend programs distributed by NMSU Las Cruces campus, visit the Office of Distance Education web site at

A list of NMSU-A online classes may be found at Information can also be obtained from Academic Advisors at (575) 439-3720.

Holloman Air Force Base (HAFB): Classes are offered at HAFB in two 8-week sessions for the fall and spring semesters and two 5-week sessions for the summer semester. Classes are open to active duty military, their dependents, DoD civilians, and community members. Academic and admission information is available in the NMSU‑A Office located in the Education Services Office – HAFB Learning Center, Bldg. 224/Suite 253.

HAFB Vehicle Pass: Students who do not have access to HAFB must first register for class and then request a Holloman Air Force Base Access Request Form from the NMSU‑A Admissions & Records Office. Procedures for obtaining the base vehicle pass are explained in the current Schedule of Classes.

GED and Test Proxy: The Advising & Career Services Office serves as the GED Testing Center for Alamogordo and the surrounding community service area. GED tests are given regularly on the NMSU‑A campus. Test proxy services are provided on request.

Learning Technology Center: The Learning Technology Center helps students adjust to online learning. At the beginning of each semester and before the second 8 week classes start, the LTC offers student workshops on Canvas access, navigation, and how to effectively interact with the variety tools used in Canvas.

Library: The David H. Townsend Library provides information services and research assistance to NMSU-A students, faculty, and staff, as well as to community residents. The library has over 20 computers available and also checks out laptops to students which can be taken anywhere in the library building. The library provides access to over 12,000 electronic journals and magazines and also has available in print format approximately 40,000 books, 90 journal and magazine subscriptions, and over 2,000 videos. The library also provides study space and group study rooms. Research assistance is available on a “drop in” basis, as well as through tours and class sessions. For hours and additional information please see the library web site at http:/

Placement Assessment: A placement assessment in math, writing, and reading is required prior to registration for all new degree seeking students or those students who plan to take any math or English course(s) unless the student has passed the required prerequisite course with a C or better. Those students who have taken the ACT/SAT may be able to use their scores instead of the placement assessment, see an Advisor to determine if ACT/SAT scores are applicable.

Placement assessment results will determine what level of math, English, and/or reading course(s) the student will be required to take. Any student testing into a developmental reading course, must take the appropriate level course.

If the math or English scores are more than one year old, the individual is required to retake the placement assessment for appropriate placement. A copy of placement assessment results will be available in the Advising Office for advising and registration.

Placement assessments are FREE. Assessments are offered at various hours and days. Check with the Advising Office for the current schedule. However, a fee of $15 is charged to send the scores to another college or university.

Resource Centers: The Nursing Resource Center provides individual and computerized tutorial assistance as well as reference books and video tapes.

The Language Lab Resource Center provides tutoring and assistance in Spanish and German languages.

Western Interstate Commission for Higher Education: NMSU collaborates with the Western Interstate Commission for Higher Education (WICHE) in recommending graduates of the university for programs in dentistry, graduate library studies, occupational therapy, optometry, osteopathy, podiatry, public health, and veterinary medicine in universities of other western states. The State of New Mexico subsidizes the education of New Mexico residents when approved for training in these fields in other states. This subsidy is a loan for-service program which permits New Mexico residents to attend state-supported institutions at in-state tuition rates and private institutions at approximately one-third the standard tuition cost if they practice in New Mexico for an equal number of years after graduation. This program is contingent upon funding by the state legislature. For further information write the Certifying Officer for New Mexico, WICHE’s Student Exchange Program, New Mexico Higher Education Department, 2048 Galisteo St., Santa Fe, NM 87505-2100.


Bookstore: The NMSU-A Bookstore, operated by Barnes and Noble, is located on the lower level of the Student Services Building. The Bookstore sells required course textbooks, both new and used. The Bookstore also has school supplies. The Bookstore is open during posted hours. Students may obtain a refund on books purchased when the books are returned before the last day for refunds. This date is listed in the Schedule of Classes (no refunds will be given after this time). Refunds will be given on books that were purchased for the present semester only. A cash register receipt must be presented to receive a refund. Full refunds will not be given for wrapped books or software that have been unwrapped. Additionally, the Bookstore holds a textbook buy-back. The days and times of the buy-back are noted in the Schedule of Classes and posted on campus during the days of the buy-back.

Children on Campus: NMSU-A is an institution of
higher education. Therefore, parents are urged to leave children at home and/or in the care of an adult. Children must ALWAYS be attended by a responsible adult when on campus. Leaving children unattended (on the patio, in the Student Union, in lounges, outside classrooms, etc.) is not permitted. Children are permitted in classrooms at the instructor’s discretion. Children must not be permitted to disrupt classes.

Computer Centers: NMSU-A has four computer labs located in the Science Center, the Professional Technical Building, the Academic Support Center, and the Library that are open to all registered students. Computer labs are open at varying times so check for posted hours in each location. Printer access and printing fee information can be found in the Tuition and Fees section of this catalog. All computer labs are equipped with computers to handle visually impaired students. Any student needing any special computer needs must go through the campus ADA Advisor. The Computer Center web page is

ID Cards: All students are encouraged to get an NMSU-A ID card. Cards are available in the Audio Visual Department in the Library. The card is required to check books out of the library, allows students into school events, and gives a discount to students for some activities. The card contains the Banner Student ID Number. Students should have the number readily available for all activities and services on campus.

Small Business Development Center: “Building New Mexico’s Economy One Business at a Time.” The Small Business Development Center (SBDC) located at NMSU-A provides free, confidential counseling to small business owners and prospective entrepreneurs in the areas of business planning, evaluation, marketing, management, financial analysis and loan package preparation. The SBDC assists with all aspects of starting and managing a business, as well as finding solutions to challenges faced by existing business owners and entrepreneurs. The Alamogordo SBDC is part of the New Mexico SBDC Network, consisting of 19 centers throughout the state. Free and low-cost training and workshops are also available. Through a vast network of local, state and federal resource partners, the Alamogordo SBDC is able to provide clients and students with access to numerous business resources. For more information on small business counseling and training opportunities, please call the SBDC at (575) 439- 3660 or visit us online at

Student Safety: NMSU-A strives to provide a safe campus for students. There are three security guards who alternate day, evening, and weekend shifts. They maintain an office in the Physical Plant. Upon request, campus security guards will escort students, faculty, and/or staff to their automobiles during evening hours. Safety procedures, campus crime statistics, and drug and alcohol policies are routinely updated on the NMSU-A web page. Lost and found items are maintained in the security office located in the Physical Plant.

E2Campus Emergency Notification System: NMSU-A now has a state-of-the-art notification network capable of sending emergency notifications instantly and simultaneously to all registered mobile phones, wireless PDAs, pagers, smartphones, satellite phones, and e-mail addresses. The system, called the e2Campus Emergency Notification System is capable of posting these alerts on the NMSU-A web site as well.

PLEASE REGISTER – IT ONLY TAKES A MINUTE. This will be the surest way for you to receive notifications critical to your safety and well being as well as other campus information you may want to OPT-IN to receive. Simply click on the link below, which will take you directly to the NMSU-A sign up form. Have your cell phone with you and on, as you’ll need it to complete registration.

Once you complete the registration form and validate your mobile phone, you may log into your personal NMSU-A account to add additional services, such as an e-mail address, to the system. You may register up to two e-mail addresses and two SMS (text messaging) devices – it’s very easy to do. If you’ve already registered, you may log into your account to update your contact information at any time using the same link.

Student Union Building: The Student Union Building serves as a central recreational and leisure area for the NMSU‑A student population. It houses a TV Room, student lounges, a recreation room with game tables, a quiet study room, and offices for chartered student organizations. A conference room is available for student meetings, and must be scheduled through the Student Government President.


Admissions & Records: The Admissions & Records Office receives and processes all NMSU‑A admissions applications and supporting documents. All registration, course drop/adds, and university withdrawal transactions are processed at this office. The NMSU‑A Admissions & Records Office provides forms to order official transcripts from the NMSU Las Cruces campus. Residency requirements and applications, student privacy act information, NMSU‑A catalogs, current class schedules, and general enrollment procedures are also available from the Admissions & Records Office. Web registration is available from any computer with internet access at See the current NMSU‑A Schedule of Classes for more information.

Academic Advising: NMSU-A offers centralized academic advising on a drop‑in basis or by appointment. Advisors provide academic advising services to all students and prospective students for programs offered at NMSU‑A as well as advising information for students transferring to the Las Cruces campus. Academic Advisors provide pre‑enrollment information, course selection assistance, degree plan requirements, and college transfer information. The Advisors also provide course approval verification to students enrolled in financial assistance programs such as Veterans Programs, and other state and federally funded programs. Individuals may also contact Advisor-on-Line at

Career Planning/Job Search Assistance: The Career Center provides career assessment, career planning advisement, occupational information, career and job search workshops, and job search support and assistance (i.e., resumes, cover letters, job search tips). To support this effort, Career Services’ AggieCAREER Manager database system can be utilized for searching for jobs related to one’s academic major, or for temporary, seasonal work and community jobs, while being an NMSU student. In addition, Optimal Resume is a free service computer program provided by the Career Center designed to create resumes based on your major and career goals. All students may use the Career Center resources which include occupational and job skills videos, a collection of career and job hunting books, catalogs, periodicals, and assessment inventories such as the Choices Interest Profiler. The Job Board includes job listings from local, regional and national companies seeking student employees. Visit the Career Center web site at or call (575) 439-3720 for more information.

Counseling services are not available on the campus. The advising department has a referral list of community resources for those students who need such resources.

Services for Students with Disabilities (SSD): This department assists individuals with documented disabilities to obtain appropriate academic accommodations. Students with sensory, mobility, learning, or other recognized impairments are encouraged to apply for services through this office. Students who seek assistance are encouraged to contact the Advisor for Special Populations at (575) 439‑3720 prior to enrollment in classes to obtain the “Petition for Disabled Student Services” form. Services may include: assistance in obtaining textbooks on tape, alternative testing accommodations, and assistance in locating tutors, readers, note takers, and American Sign Language interpreters.

Available adaptive equipment includes computers with speech synthesizers and large print software, portable and stationary visual tek machines, talking calculators, 4‑track tape recorders, a Braille printer, FM assistive listening device, and a microscope for the visually impaired. A Kurzweil Reading Machine is located in the David H. Townsend Library. Additional information is available on our web page at:

NMSU‑A ADA Grievance Procedure For Students with Disabilities: NMSU‑A has adopted an internal procedure providing for the prompt and equitable resolution of complaints alleging any action prohibited by Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 (29 USCS § 691 2993, Section 504) or of the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990 (ADA), which prohibits discrimination on the basis of disability.

Students are encouraged to attempt to resolve any problems or complaints they might have at the local college level first. Students should initially contact the NMSU‑A Advisor for Special Populations, 439-3720, in an effort to resolve problems related to the need for, or provision of, special accommodations, as well as those that are related to access needs or the equalization of learning opportunity. The next level of appeal is the Vice President for Student Success, who also serves as the ADA Coordinator.

While students are encouraged to resolve concerns at the college level, any student may contact the Director of Institutional Equity at (575) 646-3635 or (575) 646-7802 TDD at New Mexico State University at any time.

Informal Complaint Procedure: The student may wish or choose to resolve the complaint on an informal basis, i.e., mediation, a letter to the professor, a telephone call, or some resolution amenable to the student. A written confidential record of the final outcome or resolution will be retained at the NMSU‑A Student Success Office. However, if a student wishes to file a formal grievance he/she should consult the NMSU-A Student Handbook for the appropriate procedure. A copy is available in Advising & Career Services or on the web site linked to
The foregoing procedures are implemented to:
1. Protect the substantive due process rights of students with disabilities; and

2. assure that NMSU‑A complies with the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990 and Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, as amended.
For further information, contact: Advisor for Special Populations at (575) 439-3720 or Vice President for Student Success, ADA Coordinator at (575) 439-3716
Director Institutional Equity
Office of Institutional Equity – EEO
NMSU, O’Laughlin House
1300 E. University Avenue
Las Cruces, NM 88003
(575) 646-3635 TDD: (575) 646-7802

New Student Orientation: Orientations are held spring and fall of each academic year. Newly admitted students, attending NMSU-A for the first time, are expected to attend an orientation. Orientation offers new students an opportunity to learn about services, resources, academic expectations, strategies for success, and student organizations.

Retention and Student Success: The Office of Retention and Student Success offers the following programs and service designed to promote student success: New Student Orientation, attendance/early alert support, academic-related skills assessment and support (note taking, test taking, etc.), problem solving, success planning. This office is also responsible for facilitating and coordinating student retention planning efforts.

Student Conduct: The policies and procedures related to student conduct are published annually in the Student Handbook which is available free of charge to all students. The Vice President for Student Success serves as the NMSU‑A Discipline Officer for student misconduct. The Vice President for Academic Affairs serves as the Hearing Officer for academic misconduct. The Student Handbook can also be located on the web site

Student Involvement Log: Student activities on campus can be transcribed on a Student Involvement Log. Off-campus activities can also be transcribed by receipt of a signed statement from the organization at which volunteer service was performed. This information cna be used to build a first resume.

Student Organizations & Activities

The Vice President for Student Success advises and assists in the coordination of activities and events sponsored by student organizations. Activity approvals and contracts for these events are processed by this office as well as student organization chartering.

Advocates for Children and Education (ACE) – ACE was chartered in 2009. The organization’s purpose is to further professional interest in education and to strengthen student/professional training through experience outside the classroom and in the local community. All current NMSU and NMSU-A students interested in educational issues are welcome. There are also honorary memberships for alumni.

The Alpha Nu Beta Chapter of Phi Theta Kappa (PTK) PTK was chartered in 1986 and is a growing academic honorary organization on the NMSU-A campus. Students who meet the minimum eligibility criteria may be invited to become members. To be eligible for membership, a student must carry a GPA of 3.5 or above, must be currently enrolled at NMSU-A, and must demonstrate leadership qualities.

Campus Christian Fellowship (CCF) - CCF is open to all students, faculty, and staff who desire to share their faith and beliefs in Jesus Christ. The group provides encouragement and spiritual growth as well as opportunities for discussion of topics on various Bible themes. Meetings consist of prayer, sharing of prayer requests, and study of topics that affect the Christian in his or her daily walk.

Chess Club - The Chess Club promotes chess on the NMSU-A campus by conducting chess games and tournaments with members, other chess clubs, schools, and chess associations throughout New Mexico. The aim is to broaden and develop chess as an educational/cultural art and as a non-profit endeavor.

Culinary Arts Club - The Culinary Arts Club was chartered in 2012. The purpose of the club is to learn about the safe preparation of all foods and to explore the culinary cultures of the world. The group also wants to encourage better nutrition while exploring a broader palette of flavors and better methods of food preparation. Through food comes sharing of culture and values.

Club Hispano - Club Hispano was chartered in 1995. The club seeks to assist all prospective and current students, with an emphasis on the Hispanic population, in their pursuit of higher education by providing the necessary support system to encourage attainment of a post-secondary educational degree. The club also acts as a catalyst to increase awareness and enhance the understanding of the Hispanic culture and heritage.

Journalism Club - The Journalism Club was chartered in 2012. The primary purpose of the Journalism Club is to produce a student newspaper for the New Mexico State University Alamogordo students.

Latter-day Saint Student Association (LDSSA) - The organization was chartered in 2012. The Latter-day Saint Student Association (LDSSA) was established by the Alamogordo Institute of Religion to help students attending college or university to have a balanced secular and spiritual education experience during their years of formal education.

Native American Student Group (NASG) - NASG membership includes Native American as well as Non-Native American students, faculty, and staff. The organization strives to foster and promote a greater understanding of the Native American community within the academic environment and educate people about Native American cultural traditions.

Social Science Club (SSC) - The SSC was founded in 1998 and invites all students interested in the social sciences to join. Along with discussions about how the social sciences can work for everyone, two or more field trips are taken each semester to local archaeological and historical sites, places of interest, such as Save the Chimpanzee Foundation or local group meetings (e.g., NAACP), and occasionally to places just to have fun (IMAX Theater). This club sponsors campus recycling and is interested in environmental as well as social concerns.

Student Media Solutions – The Student Media Solutions organization was chartered in 2012 to provide multimedia (Animation, Film, Web Design, Graphic Design, Photography, Fine Arts, and Theater) students within NMSU-A the opportunity for experience before graduation.

Student Nursing Associate (SNA) – The organization was chartered in 2011. The purpose is to contribute to nursing education in order to provide the highest quality of health care possible through the providing of programs which represent the fundamental interests and concerns of quality health care, as well as to aid in the development of the whole person – including the professional role and responsibility for the health care of people in all walks of life.

Student Veterans of America-Alamogordo (SVAA) - The purpose of SVAA is: 1) to organize full time and part time students of this campus who have served or are currently serving in any of the Armed Forces of the United States, 2) to help build and maintain morale through social and academic activities on campus and in the community, 3) to conduct fundraising events for worthy charities. Spouses and dependents of current or past United States Armed Forces members are welcome.

NMSU-A Student Government – This is the recognized student governing organization that supervises and appropriates all student activity funds, coordinates intramural programs, and provides social programs. This group represents the student body of NMSU-A for decisions impacting quality of student life. Membership is inclusive, and requires that students be enrolled in the NMSU system including, but not limited to, concurrent/dual credit students, online students, distance education/bachelors programs, and graduate students. Members must attend classes delivered through the NMSU-Alamogordo campus. NMSU-A Student Government members must be in good academic standing. The student government is structured to include a minimum of nine senators comprised of one senator from each chartered student organizations, and five at-large senators elected by campus-wide election. In the event there are too few senators from student groups to meet the required nine, the shortfall will be filled by at-large senators. Officers are elected from and by the currently elected senate members. The election process is overseen by the Vice President for Student Success.

Recognition Of Academic Achievement

The Honors College: The Honors College provides motivated undergraduate students with opportunities to broaden and enrich their academic programs. In small classes taught by master teachers, honors students engage in lively discussion and collaborative investigation of interdisciplinary topics. By taking honors courses, students may also work toward completing general education requirements and disciplinary requirements in their major.

Crimson Scholars Program: Crimson Scholars is a benefit and recognition program for academically superior students who have a cumulative 3.5 GPA and are taking three or more credits per semester. Crimson Scholars receive a number of benefits, including: 1) automatic eligibility of all Honors Courses, 2) early registration, 3) extended library check-out privileges, 4) special advising, 5) notation on college transcript, 6) recognition in the commencement program, and 7) a lapel pin.

To be eligible for the Crimson Scholars Program, students must be degree seeking.

    • Entering freshmen must have either: a minimum ACT standard composite score of 26; or a minimum ACT standard composite score of 24 and a 3.75 or better high school GPA; or a minimum SAT score of 1090 and a 3.75 or better high school GPA.
    • Currently enrolled students must have a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.5 for 3 or more credits* at NMSU.
    • Transfer students must have a 3.5 cumulative GPA from their previous institution(s) or complete 3 or more credits* at NMSU for eligibility.
    *does not include I or audit course designations at NMSU.

To maintain Crimson Scholar status

    • Freshmen entering on an ACT score must maintain a cumulative GPA of 3.5 and complete three or more credits per semester to continue in the program.
    • Sophomores, juniors, and seniors must maintain a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.5 and be currently enrolled in a total of 3 or more credits* per semester at NMSU or any NMSU community college to retain their Crimson Scholars status.
    *does not include I or audit course designations at NMSU.
    • Crimson Scholars whose GPA drops below the required cumulative 3.5 or drops below the three credit minimum will be dropped from the program. If in the following semester, the student’s cumulative GPA and credits again meet the minimum requirement, the student will automatically be reinstated.

In recognition of the student’s academic achievement, a statement designating “Crimson Scholar Graduate” is placed on the student’s transcript after completion of 90 credit hours as a Crimson Scholar and a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.5.

To be designated in the commencement program as a Crimson Scholar graduate, a student must complete a minimum of 75 credit hours* as a Crimson Scholar and must have a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.5. Students who complete 24 credit hours* as Crimson Scholars and have a minimum GPA of 3.5 receive a lapel pin. Crimson Scholars are entitled to early registration and library privileges.
*does not include I or audit course designations at NMSU

Additional information is available from the Crimson Scholars Office, located in the Conroy Honors Center on the Las Cruces campus.

Dean’s Report of Academic Achievement: Following the close of the semester, each college dean publishes a list of students who have achieved honor standing in grades for the previous semester. To be eligible, a student must have been enrolled in 12 or more semester credits with a computable grade in each. The top 15 percent of eligible students by college for that semester will be named to the Dean’s Honor List.

Meritorious Graduate: The designation Meritorious Graduate is awarded to the top 15 percent of the students receiving associate degrees within each college in any one academic year; the students must have completed 45 or more credits with computable grades at NMSU.

Required Courses

The New Mexico Common Core
General education at NMSU and its community colleges provides all students with a broad foundation and common framework upon which to develop knowledge and skills, social consciousness and respect for self and others thus enabling them to function responsibly and effectively now and in the future. General education courses at NMSU can be identified by the G suffix.

The New Mexico Common Core are designated general education courses guaranteed to transfer to any New Mexico public college or university. A complete list of approved courses can be found on the New Mexico Higher Education Department web site at The current approved NMSU courses are listed below under each of the five general education areas.

Note: Not all courses listed below are taught at NMSU Alamogordo.

The Common Core Requirements:
Area I: Communications (Select 10 credits)
English Composition – Level 1
ENGL 111G, Rhetoric and Composition…………………………..4
ENGL 111GH, Rhetoric and Composition, Honors…………….4
SPCD 111G, Advanced ESL Composition………………………..4
English Composition – Level II
ENGL 203G, Business and Professional Communication……3
ENGL 211G, Writing in the Humanities and Social
ENGL 218G, Technical and Scientific Communication………3
ENGL 311G, Advanced Composition……………………………….3
ENGL 318G, Advanced Technical and Professional
Oral Communication
AXED 201G, Effective Leadership and Communication in Agricultural Organizations………………………………………………3
COMM 253G, Public Speaking……………………………………….3
COMM 265G, Principles of Human
HON 265G, Principles of Human Communication – Honors 3

Area II: Mathematics/Algebra (Select 3 credits)
A ST/STAT 251G, Statistics for Business and Behavioral Sciences………………………………………………………………………..3
HON 210G, The Accidental Mathematician………………………3
MATH 112G, Fundamentals of Elementary Math II ………….3
MATH 121G, College Algebra………………………………………..3
MATH 142G, Calculus for the Biological and Management Sciences ……………………………………………………………………….3
MATH 190G, Trigonometry and Precalculus ……………………4
MATH 191G, Calculus and Analytic Geometry I……………….4
MATH 192G, Calculus and Analytic Geometry II……………..4
MATH 210G, Mathematics Appreciation………………………….3
MATH/HON 275G, Spirit and Evolution of Mathematics ….3
MATH 291G, Calculus and Analytic Geometry III ……………3
STAT 271G, Statistics for Psychological Sciences …………….3

Area III: Laboratory Science (Select 8 credits)
AGRO/HORT 100G, Introductory Plant Science……………….4
ANTH 130G/GL, Human’s Place in Nature: Introduction to Biological Anthropology ………………………………………………..4
ASTR 105G, The Planets………………………………………………..4
ASTR 110G, Introduction to Astronomy…………………………..4
BIOL 101G/GL, Human Biology…………………………………….4
BIOL 110G, Contemporary Problems in Biology………………4
BIOL 111G/GL, Natural History of Life…………………………..4
BIOL 211G/GL, Cellular and Organismal Biology…………….4
C S 171G, Introduction to Computer Science …………………..4
CHEM 110G, Principles and Applications of Chemistry…….4
CHEM 111G, General Chemistry I…………………………………..4
CHEM 112G, General Chemistry II…………………………………4
E S 110G, Introduction to Environmental Science……………..4
FSTE 164G, Introduction to Food Science Technology ……..4
FSTE 263G, Food Science I …………………………………………..4
GEOG 111G, Geography of the Natural Environment………..4
GEOL 111G, Survey of Geology……………………………………..4
GEOL 212G, The Dynamic Earth…………………………………….4
HON 205G, Life, Energy, and Evolution ………………………….4
HON 219G, Earth, Time, and Life …………………………………..4
PHYS 110G, Great Ideas of Physics…………………………………4
PHYS 120G, Introduction to Acoustics ……………………………4
PHYS 211G/GL, General Physics I………………………………….4
PHYS 212G/GL, General Physics II………………………………..4
PHYS 215G/GL, Engineering Physics I……………………………4
PHYS 216G/GL, Engineering Physics II…………………………..4
PHYS 221G, General Physics for Life Sciences ……………….3
PHYS 222G, General Physics for Life Sciences II …………….3

Area IV: Social/Behavioral Science (Select 6-9 credits)
AG E 210G/FSTE 210G, Survey of Food and Agriculture Issues …………………………………………………………………………..3
ANTH 120G, Human Ancestors………………………………………3
ANTH 125G, Introductions to World Cultures…………………..3
ANTH 201G, Introduction to Anthropology……………………..3
ANTH 202G, Introduction to Archaeology and Physical Anthropology ……………………………………………………………….3
ANTH 203G, Introduction to Language and Cultural Anthropology ……………………………………………………………….3
C EP 110G, Human Growth and Behavior………………………..3
C J 101G, Introduction to Criminal Justice ………………………3
ECON 201G, Introduction to Economics………………………….3
ECON 251G, Principles of Macroeconomics…………………….3
ECON 252G, Principles of Microeconomics……………………..3
GEOG 112G, World Regional Geography ………………………..3
GEOG 120G, Culture and Environment …………………………..3
GOVT 100G, American National Government………………….3
GOVT 110G, Introduction to Political Science………………….3
GOVT 150G, American Political Issues……………………………3
GOVT 160G, International Political Issues……………………….3
HL S 150G, Personal Health and Wellness ……………………….3
HON 203G, Understanding the Science of Human Behavior.3
HON 232G, The Human Mind ……………………………………….3
HON 235G, The World of Anthropology …………………………3
HON 237G, Archaeology: Search for the Past ………………….3
HON 248G, The Citizen and the State: Great Political
Issues …………………………………………………………………………..3
HON 249G, American Politics in a Changing World………….3
JOUR 105G, Media and Society ……………………………………..3
LING 200G, Introduction to Language ……………………………3
PSY 201G, Introduction to Psychology…………………………….3
SOC 101G, Introductory Sociology………………………………….3
SOC 201G, Contemporary Social Problems………………………3
S WK 221G, Introduction to Social Welfare……………………..3
W S 201G, Introduction to Women’s Studies…………………….3
W S 202G, Representing Women Across Cultures……………..3

Area V: Humanities and Fine Arts (Select 6-9 credits)
ART 101G, Orientation in Art…………………………………………3
ART 110G, Visual Concepts …………………………………………..3
ART 295G, Introduction to Art History I…………………………..3
ART 296G, Introduction to Art History II…………………………3
DANC 101G, Dance Appreciation ………………………………….3
ENGL 115G, Perspectives on Literature ………………………….3
ENGL 116G, Perspectives on Film ………………………………….3
ENGL 220G, Introduction to Creative Writing………………….3
ENGL 244G, Literature and Culture…………………………………3
HIST 101G, Roots of Modern Europe………………………………3
HIST 102G, Modern Europe……………………………………………3
HIST 110G, Making History ………………………………………….3
HIST 111G, Global History to 1500 ………………………………..3
HIST 112G, Global History Since 1500 …………………………..3
HIST 201G, Introduction to Early American History………….3
HIST 202G, Introduction to Recent American History……….3
HIST 211G, East Asia to 1600 ………………………………………..3
HIST 212G, East Asia Since 1600 …………………………………..3
HIST 221G, Islamic Civilizations to 1800………………………..3
HIST 222G, Islamic Civilizations Since 1800……………………3
HON 208G, Music in Time and Space …………………………….3
HON 216G, Encounters with Art …………………………………….3
HON 220G, The World of the Renaissance: Discovering the Modern ………………………………………………………………………..3
HON 221G, Seeking the Way: Spirit and Intellect in
Premodern China ………………………………………………………….3
HON 222G, Foundations of Western Culture ……………………3
HON 225G, History of Ethics …………………………………………3
HON 226G, Puzzles, Paradoxes, and Truth ………………………3
HON 227G, Plato and the Discovery of Philosophy ………….3
HON 228G, Religion and the State ………………………………….3
HON 229G, The New Testament as Literature ………………….3
HON 230G, Bamboo and Silk: The Fabric of Chinese Literature ……………………………………………………………………..3
HON 234G, The Worlds of Arthur …………………………………..3
HON 239G, Medieval Understandings: Literature and Culture in the Middle Ages …………………………………………….3
HON 241G, Telling American Stories: Society and Culture in Early America ………………………………………………………………3
HON 242G, Claiming an American Past ………………………….3
HON 244G, Masterpieces of World Literature ………………….3
HON 270G, The World Theatre ………………………………………3
MUS 101G, Introduction to Music…………………………………..3
MUS 201G, History of Jazz in Popular Music: A Blending of Cultures………………………………………………………………………..3
PHIL 100G, Philosophy, Law and Ethics………………………….3
PHIL 101G, The Art of Wondering…………………………………..3
PHIL 124G, Philosophy of Music…………………………………….3
PHIL 136G, The Quest for God……………………………………….3
PHIL 201G, Introduction to Philosophy……………………………3
PHIL 211G, Informal Logic…………………………………………….3
PHIL 223G, Ethics ………………………………………………………..3
THTR 101G, Introduction to Theatre……………………………….3

Alternatives to Meeting General Education Requirements:
Students taking nine or more credits in a specific subject area, even though the courses are not designated as general education courses, will have met the general education requirements for that subject area. For example, a student may complete ART 150, 155 and 156 (9 hours) and thereby satisfy one course from the Area V: Humanities and Fine Arts category, even though none of those courses carries a G suffix. Please check with the advising office.


Costs: See Tuition/Fees section of catalog.

Credit for Military Service: A veteran or member of the active armed services or the military reserves who is a current student or a student applying for admission to NMSU may be granted academic credit on a case-by-case basis. Specific course equivalencies and credit hours awarded are determined by academic departments. Credit hours may be awarded for specific courses or as elective credit. The number of credit hours awarded will be determined by the department.

NMSU will award academic credit to United States military personnel for courses and military occupational specialities (MOS), based on the American Council of Education Guide (ACE) as well as through national standardized tests, such as CLEP, AP, PEP, and DANTES. Credit for military training is in accordance with NMSU Faculty Senate Legislation Proposition 24-07/08, which was passed in May 2008. Military training and MOS must have a recommendation evaluation by ACE for credit to be awarded. Courses accepted for transfer credit are given an NMSU equivalent and become part of the student’s official NMSU transcript and academic record. If a student wishes to appeal a decision regarding the acceptance of military training/education and/or MOS for academic credit, the student must submit a written statement of appeal to the Vice President of Academic Affairs. The VPAA will review the merits of the appeal and render a decision. The decision of the VPAA is final.

Only primary MOS(s) are eligible for academic credit in the initial review and evaluation. Credit for duty and/or secondary MOS may be eligible for academic credit if the student petitions the college’s VPAA. Primary MOS is the primary specialist of a soldier and reflects the broadest and most in-depth scope of military experience. Veterans, active duty personnel, Guard and reservists who are a current student or a student applying for admission to NMSU-A may be granted academic credit on a case-by-case basis upon evaluation of military transcripts – Sailor/Marine ACE Registry Transcript System (SMARTS), Army/ACE Registry Transcript System (AARTS), or Community College of the Air Force (CCAF) and United States Coast Guard transcripts. Course equivalencies and credit hours awarded for a particular NMSU degree are determined by colleges and/or academic departments. Credit hours may be awarded for specific courses toward degree requirement, or as elective credit. The number of credit hours awarded will be determined by the college and/or academic department.

Veterans Programs: NMSU-A degree programs are approved by the State Approving Agency for enrollment of persons eligible to receive education benefits from the Department of Veterans’ Affairs (DVA). Eligible students may apply for benefits and advanced VA payment by submitting applications at the Financial/VA Office. Advance payment must be requested at least 30 days prior to the first day of classes.

Veterans Benefits Certification: All veterans and dependents that are eligible to receive veteran’s benefits must complete the application and certification process prior to registration. Students must have courses approved by an Academic Advisor and certified by the NMSU‑A Veterans Office each semester of enrollment. Additionally, all Chapter 30, 32, 34, and 1606 students must self-certify to the VA at the end of each month either on the web at or by calling 1-888-GIBILL1. Schedule changes can and will affect VA payments especially those under Post 9/11 benefits (Chapter 33).

Veterans Attendance and Satisfactory Academic Progress: Students must be pursuing a degree in a specific program to be eligible to receive benefits. Admission procedures for veterans and other eligible persons are the same as those for other students. Students who do not satisfy all requirements for full admission may be certified for two terms; however, they may be required to repay the DVA for some or all benefits received if they do not achieve full admission status during that time.

Title 38, United States Code, requires that education assistance to veterans and other eligible persons be discontinued when the student ceases to make satisfactory progress toward completion of the training objective. The DVA will be appropriately notified of the unsatisfactory progress. A specific request must be submitted by the student to reinstate benefits. The DVA will determine eligibility for reinstatement of benefits. Students are responsible for notifying the NMSU-A Veterans Office of any change in their enrollment or change in personal information affecting their eligibility. Students may receive education benefits only for courses that are required for their designated degree program. Students who receive DVA benefits are subject to strict academic regulations and should be aware of how auditing a course, repeating a course, changing degree program or enrollment status, and other actions may affect their eligibility to receive benefits.

If the university has liability claims filed against it as a result of a veteran failing to meet compliance requirements of the Veterans Administration, the university will not release any academic records on the veteran until such time as the veteran has reimbursed the federal government for funds drawn in violation of those requirements.


These regulations apply to all campuses of NMSU and are effective with the publication of this catalog. Tuition amounts, fees, and similar items are subject to annual review and changes are effective with the current catalog.

University Credits: The unit of university credit is the semester hour, which is the equivalent of one hour’s recitation or a minimum of two hours of practice per week for one semester.

Class Rank (Classification): A student’s classification depends upon the number of credits completed toward graduation. Sophomore rank is achieved with successful completion of 28 credits; junior rank, 62 credits; senior rank, 94 credits.

Class Load: The normal load in a regular semester is 16‑18 credits in all colleges of the university. An overload is more than 18 credits. A normal load during the summer term is the same number of credits as there are weeks in the session.

Written permission for the student to register for an overload must be obtained from the Office of Advising & Career Services. To be eligible to take an overload, the student must have a 2.5 cumulative GPA, with no grade less than a C for the two preceding semesters. A one‑credit course in physical activity may be taken without being included in the calculation for determining an overload.

Freshmen will not be permitted to assume an overload

Students may enroll for correspondence or extension courses only upon approval of the Vice President for Student Success. Such courses must be counted as part of a student’s class load. No more than 30 credits in extension and correspondence courses will be accepted toward graduation. Correspondence course information is available in Advising & Career Services located in the Student Services Building.

Basic Academic Skills: Students who plan to continue their education at the Las Cruces campus must meet the Basic Skills Requirements in English and mathematics before they are eligible to attend NMSU Las Cruces classes.

The English requirement is met by passing ENGL 111G with a grade of C or better. This requirement can also be met with a 30 ACT English writing score, AP Credit in English, or CLEP credit in English. Students may also receive credit for ENGL 111G by transferrring 3 or more credits of college-level English composition, with a grade of C or above from accredited institutions.

The math requirement is met when a student has earned a grade of C or higher in one of the following courses or course combinations: (a) CCDM 112N and CCDM 113N; (b) CCDM 114N; (c) MATH 111 and MATH 112G (d) any mathematics course numbered 120 or above. A score of 23 or higher on the mathematics portion of the ACT also qualifies as meeting this requirement.

Full Basic Academic Skills requirements can be found in the NMSU Undergraduate Catalog.

Satisfactory Academic Progress: A full‑time student is making satisfactory progress when the cumulative number of credits earned at NMSU, divided by the number of semesters attended at NMSU, equals at least 12. Part-time students must earn a proportional number of credits in the same time period for purposes of financial aid. In the case of new freshmen, this definition will not be applied until the beginning of the third semester of enrollment; however, for all other students it will apply after one semester of enrollment. All students at the end of their second academic year must have a cumulative 2.0 GPA.

University Grading System: Grade reports are not automatically mailed to students. Students can access grades and credits on the web by accessing their my.nmsu account at Once accessed, grade reports can be ordered and will be mailed to the student’s grade address on file. It is the responsibility of the student to provide updated grade addresses to the Admissions Office. At the request of the student, the instructor will provide information on progress in the course prior to the last day to drop a course.

The NMSU system of grading is expressed in letters, which carry grade points used in calculating the cumulative GPA:

Letter Grade per unit of Credit
A For excellent work………………………………………………….4
B For better than average work……………………………………3
C For average work……………………………………………………2
D For below average work………………………………………….1
F For failing work……………………………………………………..0
W Withdrawal…………………………………………………………….0
N Grade not submitted………………………………………………..0
CR Credit authorized, but not letter grade……………………….0
IP In progress…………………………………………………………….0
RR Progress in undergraduate course (Required Repeat).0
S* Satisfactory work……………………………………………………0
U Unsatisfactory work………………………………………………..0
I Incomplete…………………………………………………………….0
AU Audit…………………………………………………………………….0

* An S grade is a grade satisfactory to the professor and is normally equivalent to the letter grade of C or higher.

In computing the overall GPA, the total credits in which grades of A, B, C, D, or F have been assigned is divided into the total number of grade points earned.

A course for which only CR, but no letter grade, is given and a course in which an S grade is earned may be counted toward graduation but is not computed in the GPA.

Prerequisite: A prerequisite is an enforceable entry requirement for a particular course. Students must have successfully completed the prerequisite before enrolling in the subsequent course.

Corequisite: A corequisite is a course that is required to be taken in conjunction with another course.

Repeating Courses: A student may repeat a course taken at this university in which a D or F grade has been earned. A computable grade (excluding I, W, RR, AU, CR, S, or U) in a repeated course may be substituted in the calculation of the GPA, though the original grade also remains on the transcript. The first occurrence with a C or better grade will count in earned hours. Future attempts will not count in earned hours. If a student repeats a course eligible for grade substitution in which they have earned a D and then fails the course, the second grade of F will not be substituted for the original grade.

Neither credits nor grade points may be earned by repeating a course for which a grade of C or higher has already been received.

Incomplete Grade: The grade of I is given for passable work that could not be completed due to circumstances beyond the student’s control. The following regulations apply to removing or changing an I grade.

1. Instructors may assign I grades only if the student is unable to complete the course due to circumstances beyond the student’s control that develop after the last day to withdraw from the course. Examples of appropriate circumstances include documented illness, documented death or crisis in the student’s immediate family, and similar circumstances. Job related circumstances are generally not appropriate grounds for assigning an I grade. In no case is an I grade to be used to avoid the assigning of D, F, U, or RR grades for marginal or failing work.

2. To assign an I grade, the instructor must complete the I Grade Information Form. The form must be signed by the student and the instructor. The form must be delivered to the Admissions & Records Office. The instructor will state in writing on the I Grade Information Form the steps necessary to complete the remaining coursework, or the instructor may indicate that the student will be required to re-enroll in the course to receive credit (in which case the I grade will not be removed). The student will sign this document, and the Admission’s Office will send a copy of the document to the student’s official permanent address as recorded in the Registrar’s Office.

3. The student is entitled to have the I grade removed from their transcript only if the student completes the remaining coursework as specified on the I Grade Information Form, in a manner satisfactory to the instructor. The work must be completed within 12 months after the I grade is assigned and prior to the student’s graduation, or within a shorter period of time if specified by the instructor on the I Grade Information Form. If the student fails to complete the coursework, the instructor may change the I grade to any appropriate grade (including D, F, or U) provided that the instructor stated that this would occur on the I Grade Information Form.

4. I grades can be removed from the student’s transcript by the instructor only during the 12‑month period following assignment of the I grade or prior to the student’s graduation, whichever comes first. To remove an I grade, the instructor must complete a Change of Grade Form and file the form with the Admissions & Records Office. The instructor may assign whatever grade is appropriate for the entire course. This may include grades of D, F, or U. The correct form must be signed by the instructor and the Division Head. An I grade not changed by the assigning instructor within 12 months and prior to graduation shall remain an I grade thereafter.

5. A student may re-enroll and receive credit for any course for which an I grade was previously received, however, retaking the course will not result in a removal of the I grade from the student’s transcript and the student must pay regular tuition for the course. The effect of removing an I grade on a student’s academic standing (scholastic warning, probation, or suspension) depends on the date the transaction is officially recorded on the student’s academic record. If the transaction is recorded before the student begins another semester, the grade replacing the I is included in the GPA calculation that establishes the student’s academic standing. If the transaction is recorded after the student begins another semester, the new grade’s effect on academic standing is based upon its inclusion with grades for the semester in which the student is enrolled.

RR Grade (Required Repeat): The RR grade applies only to designated skill development undergraduate courses approved by the University Curriculum Committee and indicates the student has made substantial progress toward completing the requirements of the course. It carries neither penalty nor credit. The student must re-enroll and successfully complete the course in order to earn credit. The grade of RR may be received only once in any given course, and it remains on the student’s transcript.

The S/U Option: Students with 28 credits at NMSU under traditional grading, with an overall average of 2.5 or better, may exercise the S/U option. The following limitations apply:
1. No more than 7 credits per semester or 4 credits per summer session.
2. Not to exceed a total of 21 semester credits.

These limitations do not apply to honors courses and courses officially designated S/U.

Each course under this option must be requested during registration. Eligibility must be determined by an Academic Advisor and certified by the student. The course must be taken outside the major. If the student changes majors, the new major department may require a traditional grade for a course previously passed with an S grade. The traditional grade change is made by the instructor or by a course challenge if the original instructor is no longer with the university.

Eligibility for S/U grading must be re-established after adjusted credit has been approved

Nondegree students who do not meet the above requirements may take courses under the S/U option. However, these courses may not be applied toward an undergraduate degree at NMSU.

Each academic college of the university may designate courses in which the grading will be on a basis of S or U for all students enrolled in the courses. Credits in such courses are not included in the 21-credit limitation or the 7-credit-per-semester limit.

Grade Point Average: A student’s NMSU semester and cumulative GPAs will be based solely on courses taken at an NMSU campus or under an approved National Student Exchange.

Independent Studies: Independent study courses (including directed reading and special topics courses which do not carry a subtitle) are for students capable of self‑direction who meet the requirements for the S/U option, i.e., if the students are not eligible for the S/U option, they are not eligible for independent study. Each college determines the maximum number of credits that may be earned in independent study courses.

Report of Academic Achievement: Following the close of the semester, NMSU-A publishes a list of students who have achieved honor standing in grades for the previous semester. To be eligible, a student must have been enrolled in 12 or more semester credits with a computable grade in each. The top 15 percent of eligible students by college for that semester will be named to the Honor Roll.

Adjusted Credit Option: The adjusted credit option allows students who obtain a low GPA (less than a 2.0 cumulative) during their first few semesters to get a fresh start. This option may be used only once and is not reversible. All courses carrying a grade of S, CR, C, or better earned prior to the grading period in which the student requests the adjusted credit option (including transfer courses) are included as adjusted credit. All allowable credits are designated on the permanent academic record as “adjusted credit” and are omitted from the calculations of the cumulative GPA.

A fee of $10 is required for the submission of an adjusted credit option application. Application forms are available in Advising & Career Services located in the Student Services Building. Students applying for this option must pay the $10 fee at the NMSU‑A Business Office. In addition, students must:

1. Not hold a bachelor degree;

2. Be currently enrolled as a regular or nondegree undergraduate;

3. Have a cumulative GPA of less than 2.0 at NMSU;

4. Have successfully accumulated fewer than 60 transfer plus NMSU credits;

5. Exercise the option only during the fall or spring semester before the last day to withdraw from the university; and

6. Pass an additional 30 graded credits before they may be awarded an associate degree.

Other courses taken during the period of credit adjustment are not calculated in the cumulative GPA. The repeat rule for the courses starts anew for students who have taken the adjusted credit option.

Credits covered by this option are shown on the transcript with an appropriate notation, and all coursework attempted is shown. In no circumstances will a transcript of this record be issued that does not include all courses attempted at this university.

Probationary status and eligibility for on-campus employment is not affected by the exercise of the adjusted credit option.

Students are eligible for university honors if the criteria for university honors are met for all courses taken at NMSU or one of its community colleges after the period of adjusted credit.

Credit by College Level Examination Program (CLEP): Prior to or during a student’s enrollment at NMSU, or any of its community colleges, credits may be earned through the College Level Examination Program (CLEP) of the College Entrance Examination Board. CLEP is a national program of credit by examination that offers the opportunity to earn credits for college level achievement wherever or however one has learned.

Earned CLEP credit will be treated as transfer credit without a grade, will count toward graduation, and may be used in fulfilling specific curriculum requirements.

Current NMSU CLEP Policy as well as test schedule information is available at Advising & Career Services in the Student Services building.

Note: CLEP credits, DANTES, USAFI, CCAF transfer, and course challenge credits cannot be used as part of the student’s last 15 semester credits of an associate degree.

Advanced Placement (AP): Students who have completed college level courses in secondary schools and have taken the Advanced Placement Examinations of the College Examination Board with resulting composite scores of 3, 4, or 5 may receive college level credit. The amount of credit and the equivalent university courses for which credit will be granted will be determined by the head of the department in which the course is offered. Such credit will be treated as transfer credit without a grade, will count toward graduation, and may be used in fulfilling specific curriculum requirements.

Credit for Military Service: See section Military/Veterans.

Credit by Examination: Any enrolled student with a cumulative GPA of at least 2.0, currently attending classes, may, with permission of the appropriate department, challenge by examination any undergraduate course in which credit has not been previously earned except an independent study, research or reading course, or any foreign language course that precedes the final course in the lower‑division sequence. The manner of administering the examination and granting permission shall be determined by the department in which the course is being challenged.

Students may not enroll in a single course, challenge it by examination, and drop it during the Drop/Add period, unless they enroll in an additional course.

In exceptional cases in which a student demonstrates outstanding ability in a course in which he/she is already registered, he/she may be permitted to challenge the course.

A student pursuing an associate degree will not be allowed to take special examinations for credit to meet the last 15 semester credits required for the associate degree.

Students desiring to apply for special examination may obtain the necessary forms from Advising & Career Services located in the Student Services Building. The fee for challenging a course is the same as the cost of tuition per credit hour.

A grade of C or better is required for credit and will be recorded on the student’s record as CR. Courses may not be challenged under the S/U option. The special examination privilege is based on the principle that the student, exclusively, has the responsibility for preparing for a special examination.

Audits: A regularly enrolled student may register for any course prior to the last day of registration as an auditor without credit with the consent of NMSU‑A Admissions & Records Office, provided the space is not required for regular students. The tuition and fees are the same as for credit courses. Audit courses are not considered in determining the maximum load except for students on probation.

A student may not change from credit to audit after the last day to register but may withdraw and continue to attend with the permission of the instructor.

Changes in Registration: Registration changes may be processed only in accordance with university regulations and with appropriate signatures.

Note: It is the responsibility of the student to initiate official withdrawal from a course and to obtain all necessary signatures on the Drop/Add Form. A picture ID will be required for all schedule changes.

Forms are available from the NMSU‑A Admissions & Records Office and completed forms must be returned to that office. Courses may not be added or dropped after the cutoff dates indicated in the Academic Calendar. For refund policy, see the “Costs” section of the catalog and the current NMSU‑A Schedule of Classes.

When a student officially drops a course, the W grade is assigned as follows:

1. No grade is assigned during the registration period.

2. A grade of W is assigned to any student who officially drops a course during the first half of its duration. A student may not officially drop a course after this time.

3. A grade of W is assigned in all courses to any student officially withdrawing from the university prior to the last three weeks of classes (dates are noted on the Academic Calendar and in the Schedule of Classes).

A student found to be insufficiently prepared to succeed in a regular course may be transferred to a more elementary course in the same field any day before the last day to officially drop an individual course.

Any person attending under Veterans Educational Assistance or Financial Aid should notify the Office of Financial Aid and Veterans Programs if dropping or adding courses changes enrollment status for benefits.

Withdrawal from NMSU: Withdrawal from any NMSU campus is an official procedure that must be approved as indicated on the withdrawal form. It is the student’s responsibility to initiate withdrawal from the university and to obtain necessary signatures. A picture ID will be required for withdrawal. Students who leave without following the official procedure are graded appropriately by the instructor. Withdrawal begins at the Admissions & Records Office and completed forms must be returned to that office. Applicable dates are published in the Academic Calendar for all regular sessions. All withdrawals will be recorded on the student’s transcript. The student cannot withdraw from the university by phone or web.

Medical Withdrawal: A medical withdrawal applies to a student who becomes seriously ill, injured, or hospitalized and is therefore unable to complete an academic term for which they are enrolled. Based on the physician’s information, a determination will be made if the student is eligible for consideration of tuition or other refunds. Withdrawal begins at the Admisisons & Records Office and completed forms must be returned to that office.

Attendance, Student Performance, and Attendance Alerts: Students are expected to attend regularly all classes for which they are registered. Valid reasons for missing classes neither relieve the student of the responsibility of making up the work missed nor of contacting the instructor about making up any missed work. Specific class attendance requirements are determined by the instructor of the course.

In extreme cases, upon recommendation of the instructor, the Vice President for Student Success, with concurrence of the Vice President for Academic Affairs, may drop a student for persistent absences or for persistent failure to complete assignments. Similarly, a student may also be dropped from a class for engaging in behavior that interferes with the educational environment of the class. Any student who has been dropped from a class shall have the right to appeal that decision through the Student Academic Grievance Policy.

Only enrolled students, for credit or audit, are permitted to attend classes. However, a student who has officially withdrawn from a course may continue to attend the course with the permission of the instructor for the remainder of the semester.

Students not enrolled for credit or audit may visit individual classes only with instructor permission.

Instructors also notify Advising & Career Services of attendance and academic issues that affect a student’s opportunity for success through the use of the QuickConnect system. There are two major reasons 1) to help the student succeed in classes and 2) to meet Federal and State laws which require that universities report non-attendance to the Financial Aid Office and other funding agencies. Instructors may use the alert forms to show concern about student’s academic progress. Copies of the QuickConnect Alert Forms are sent to the student by email to encourage students to monitor their academic progress and take appropriate steps to be successful in their course work. Hard copies of the Alerts are retained in the Financial Aid Office during the semester.

Privacy Rights: The following information has been designated as directory information and is subject to release to the public under the Buckley Amendment (PL 98-380), “The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974” (FERPA): Student’s name, address, email address, telephone listing, date and place of birth, major field of study, classification, participation in officially recognized activities and sports, weight and height of members of athletic teams, dates of attendance, degrees and awards received, and the most recent, previous educational agency or institution attended by the student.

Students can prohibit the release of directory information to the public by bringing a photo ID to the Office of Admissions & Records located in the Student Services Building and by submitting a written request. Such requests must be made by the end of late registration for any semester. It will NOT prohibit the release of directory information to entities of the university which have a “need to know” to accomplish their required official tasks. It will NOT prohibit a university department from including the student’s name on mailing lists for distribution of materials that are essential to his/her enrollment at the University. Students who are also University employees should be aware that filing this restriction will result in suppression of both employee and student information.

The authorization to restrict directory information remains in effect until the student revokes it. The authorization has no affect on directory information released prior to the completion of the request.

Other information regarding disclosure of student data is posted at the Office of Admissions & Records in compliance with the Act.

Requests for withholding directory information must be filed in writing with the Office of Admissions & Records.

Students have the right to:
1. Inspect and review the student’s education records within 45 days of the day the University receives a request for access. Students should submit to the Admissions & Records Coordinator and the Vice President for Student Success, a written request that identifies the record(s) they wish to inspect. The University official will make arrangements for access and notify the student of the time and place where the records may be inspected. If the records are not maintained by the University official to whom the request was submitted, that official shall advise the student of the correct official to whom the request should be addressed.

2. Request an amendment of the student’s education records that the student believes is inaccurate or misleading. Students may ask the University to amend a record that they believe is inaccurate or misleading. They should write the University official responsible for the record, clearly identify the part of the record they want changed, and specify why it is inaccurate or misleading.
If the University decides not to amend the record as requested by the student, the University will notify the student of the decision and advise the student of his/her right to a hearing regarding the request for amendment. Additional information regarding the hearing procedures

If the University decides not to amend the record as requested by the student, the University will notify the student of the decision and advise the student of his/her right to a hearing regarding the request for amendment. Additional information regarding the hearing procedures will be provided to the student when notified of the right to a hearing.

3. Consent to disclosures of personally identifiable information contained in the student’s education records, except to the extent that FERPA authorizes disclosure without consent. One exception, which permits disclosure without consent, is disclosure to school officials with legitimate educational interests. A school official is defined as a person employed by the University in an administrative, supervisory, academic, or support staff position (including law enforcement unit and health staff); a person or company with whom the University has contracted (such as an attorney, auditor, or collection agent); a person serving on the Board of Regents; or a student serving on an official committee, such as a disciplinary or grievance committee, or assisting another school official in performing his/her tasks.

A school official has a legitimate educational interest if the official needs to review an education record in order to fulfill his/her professional responsibility.

Upon request, the University discloses educational records without consent to officials of another school in which a student seeks or intends to enroll.

4. File a complaint with the U.S. Department of Education concerning alleged failures by the University to comply with the requirements of FERPA. The name and address of the office that administers FERPA is:

Family Policy Compliance Office
U.S. Department of Education
400 Maryland Avenue, S.W.
Washington, DC 20202-4605

Social Security Numbers in Student Records: As required by law, social security numbers are collected from prospective and current students who 1) wish to be employed on campus or 2) wish to receive financial aid. Further, the University is mandated by federal tax regulations to provide tuition and fee payment information to the student and the Internal Revenue Service, so that applicable educational tax credits may be computed. The social security number is a confidential record and is maintained as such by the University in accordance with FERPA.

Outcomes Assessment – Evaluating Your Academic Experience: New Mexico State University is committed to providing its students with a quality education and a supportive learning environment. Assessment is a process of rigorous review followed by implementation of changes to enhance and improve the quality of education students receive at NMSU. For assessment to be effective, students must be actively aware of, and engaged in, assessment activities. Faculty and staff at NMSU will communicate to students the value and implications of assessment. For their part, students will provide feedback on personal, professional and academic development. Students are expected to participate in all types of assessment when asked to do so. Types of assessment activities include class assignments, course projects, exams, exit interviews, standardized tests, surveys, focus groups, etc. Data gathered through these assessments will be published only in aggregate form. Efforts will be made to inform students of assessment results and the program improvements implemented as a result of assessment.

Academic Appeals: Procedure for Initiating Grievance Complaints: This procedure has been established to provide a method to resolve undergraduate student grievances at the lowest administrative level in a fair and expeditious manner. For the purpose of this procedure, grievances are limited to alleged violations of university policy or procedures by the University or its employees, disputes with faculty and/or alleged unfair treatment. Usually this method is used to appeal a grade the student feels was not justified.

Note: Under no condition should these policies be used when the student has allegedly violated the University Code of Conduct or a contractual agreement, and at no hearing should either party have a lawyer.

Any student who believes that he or she has been unjustly treated within the academic process may proceed as far as necessary in the steps detailed below. Should the alleged grievance not involve a faculty member or course, the student is to appeal directly to the Division Head in whose area the alleged grievance occurred.

1. Appeal to faculty member: The student is to submit a written appeal to the faculty member within thirty (30) days after the start of the semester following the semester in which the alleged grievance occurred. Semester in this case refers to fall and spring only. If the alleged grievance occurs during the summer session, the student is to submit an appeal no later than thirty (30) days into the fall semester following the summer session in which the alleged grievance occurred. The faculty member and the student are to discuss the problem. The faculty member will submit a written report outlining his or her decision to the student and Division Head within ten (10) working days of receipt of the student’s written appeal.

2. Appeal to the Division Head: If a decision satisfactory to the student cannot be reached, the student may submit a written appeal to the Division Head in which the course in question is taught. This is to be done within ten (10) days of receipt of the faculty member’s written decision. The faculty member, the Division Head, and the student are to meet to discuss the problem. The Division Head will send a written response outlining his/her decision to the student and the faculty member within ten (10) working days of this meeting.

3. Appeal to the Vice President for Academic Affairs (or designee): If a satisfactory decision cannot be reached among the Division Head, the faculty member and the student, the student or the faculty member may submit a written statement of appeal to the Vice President for Academic Affairs (or designee). This is to be done within ten (10) working days after receipt of the written decision by the Division Head. The Vice President for Academic Affairs may request a written recommendation from the college Academic Appeals Board. Should this be the case, the Academic Appeals Board will conduct a hearing with the student and faculty member (not necessarily at the same time) to review the merits of the appeal. They may also ask for supporting evidence for or against the appeal. The Academic Appeals Board will submit the written recommendation to the Vice President for Academic Affairs within five (5) working days following the conclusion of their process. The Vice President for Academic Affairs may meet with the student, faculty member, and Division Head to discuss the appeal (not necessarily at the same time). The Vice President for Academic Affairs will submit a written response outlining his or her decision to the student, faculty member, Division Head, and campus President within ten (10) days of the last meeting.

4. Appeal to the campus President (or designee): The campus President may, at his or her discretion, review the appeal upon the written request of the student or faculty member and render a final decision. An appeal to the campus President is the last step in the appeals process and the campus President’s decision cannot be appealed further. Should the campus President choose not to review the appeal, the decision of the Vice President for Academic Affairs is final.

5. Exceptions to the time involved: The Vice President for Academic Affairs or designee may waive the normal time frame for appeals for compelling reasons. Regardless of circumstances, academic appeals must be initiated with the course instructor within two years of the conclusion of the semester or summer session in which the course was taken.

6. Enrollment: A student need not be enrolled at the University to initiate an appeal.

Academic Appeals Board: An academic appeals board will be appointed by the Vice President for Academic Affairs to hear student appeals. The appeals board will consist of three faculty members and two students.

Maintenance of Records: Instructors and/or divisions shall keep records used to compute individual grades for two years after the completion of a course. If a grade has been appealed, these records shall be kept for at least two years after completion of the appeal. Divisions may require that records be kept for longer periods.

Academic Misconduct: Students at NMSU-A are expected to observe and maintain the highest academic, ethical, and professional standards of conduct. Any student found guilty of academic misconduct shall be subject to disciplinary action. Academic misconduct includes, but is not limited to, the following actions:

1. Cheating or knowingly assisting another student in committing an act of cheating or other forms of academic dishonesty;

2. Plagiarism, which includes, but is not necessarily limited to, submitting examinations, themes, reports, drawings, laboratory notes, undocumented quotations, computer-processed materials, or other material as one’s own work when such work has been prepared by another person or copied from another person;

3. Unauthorized possession of examinations, reserved library materials, or laboratory materials;

4. Unauthorized changing of grades on an examination, in an instructor’s grade book, or on a grade report; or unauthorized access to academic computer records; and

5. Nondisclosure or misrepresentation in filling out applications or other University records in, or for, academic departments or colleges.

Academic Standing: The following academic regulations apply to all NMSU‑A students.

Note: See section on Incomplete, I, grades to determine the effect of removal of I grades on academic standing.

Academic Warning, Probation, and Suspension: When students do not maintain adequate academic standing, they begin a progression of Academic Warning to Academic Probation I and II, and finally to Academic Suspension. Each state imposes more structure and limitations on the student in order to help the student return to normal academic standing. The intent is not to punish, but to help the student return to normal academic standing and success. Since some of these limitations involve limitations on the number of credits hours, students on Probation II or Suspension may be subject to loss of financial aid. It is the responsibility of the student to determine the impact of their changed academic standing on their financial aid.

Notification to students of academic warning, probation, or suspension appears on the student’s grade report at the end of each grading period.

Academic Warning: An Academic Warning is issued only once, the first time a student’s cumulative GPA falls below a 2.0 while in good academic standing.

While under Academic Warning the following restrictions apply:

1. The student may be required to enroll in a 3-hour special study skills/time management course specifically designed for students on Academic Warning for the first time, or an equivalent approved by the Vice President for Academic Affairs.

2. Students will be required to enter into a contract with their Advisor, approved by the Vice President for Academic Affairs, that places further stipulations on Academic Warning. The contract may include, but is not limited to, the following:

a. The student may be required to take at least one repeat course to try to greatly improve their GPA.
b. Except for the special study skills/time management course, the student’s coursework may be restricted to required courses for the degree.
c. The student may be required to get tutoring help.
d. The student may be required to see an Academic Advisor on a specified time schedule.
e. The number of hours for which a student may register may be restricted (due to extenuating circumstances such as the student’s workload commitments).

The Vice President for Academic Affairs may place the student on Academic Probation I should the student not adhere to the stipulations of the contract.

If the student’s semester GPA is less than a 2.0, and the cumulative GPA remains below a 2.0 at the end of the semester on Academic Warning, the student is placed on Academic Probation I. If the semester GPA is greater than 2.0 but the cumulative GPA is still less than 2.0, the student will remain on Academic Warning. If the cumulative GPA is greater than a 2.0 at the end of the semester then the student is returned to good academic standing.

Summer Courses: A student may use summer classes to try to get warning or probationary status removed. Under no circumstances may a student on Academic Warning or Academic Probation be allowed to register for an overload.

Academic Warning status is continued if the student withdraws from the university.

Probation or suspension status applies to all subsequent enrollments.

Academic Probation: There are two stages in Academic Probation.

Academic Probation I: This occurs when a student under Academic Warning has a semester GPA less than 2.0, and the cumulative GPA remains below 2.0 at the conclusion of the semester or if the student maintains a semester GPA greater than 2.0 while on Academic Probation I but the cumulative GPA is still less than 2.0.

Under Academic Probation I the following conditions apply:

1. The student cannot enroll in more than 13 hours of coursework during the semester.
Note: Students falling below 12 credits in any one semester may jeopardize their eligibility for financial aid. Should this occur, students should see their Academic Advisor as soon as possible to try to implement corrective measures.

2. The student will enter into a contract or individualized education plan with the student’s Advisor and approved by the Vice President for Academic Affairs, that places further stipulations on Academic Probation I. The Vice President for Academic Affairs may place the student on Academic Probation II or Academic Suspension should the student not adhere to the stipulations of the contract.

3. Students on Academic Probation I receiving educational benefits from the Veterans’ Administration must obtain counseling from the Office of Veterans’ Programs.

The student must maintain a semester GPA equal to or greater than 2.0 until such time that the cumulative GPA is greater than 2.0 at which time the student goes back to good academic standing. Until the latter happens, the student remains on Academic Probation I. The student will be placed on Academic Probation II if unable to maintain a 2.0 semester GPA, and the cumulative remains below a 2.0 GPA, while under Academic Probation I.

Academic Probation II: Issued when a student falls below a semester 2.0 GPA, and the cumulative remains below a 2.0 GPA, while on Academic Probation I. Or, if the student maintains a semester GPA greater than 2.0 while on Academic Probation II but the cumulative GPA is still less than 2.0.

1. The student cannot enroll in more than 7 hours of coursework during the semester.

2. As with rule 2 under Academic Warning and Academic Probation I and at the discretion of the Vice President for Academic Affairs, the student will be required to enter into a contract with their Advisor, and approved by the Vice President for Academic Affairs, to place further stipulations on Academic Probation II.

The Vice President for Academic Affairs may place the student on Academic Suspension should the student not adhere to the stipulations of the contract.

The student must maintain a semester 2.0 GPA or higher until the cumulative GPA reaches a 2.0 or higher at which time the student is placed on good academic standing. A student unable to maintain a semester GPA of 2.0 or higher, and the cumulative remains below 2.0 GPA, while under Probation II will be placed on Suspension.

Transfer Students: Students (admitted under special provisions) whose transcripts indicate less than a 2.0 GPA are admitted on Academic Probation I.

Continuing in Probationary Status: Students may continue to enroll while on Academic Probation I or II provided they maintain a semester GPA of 2.0 or higher. They are continued on that same level of Academic Probation if they withdraw from the university while on Academic Probation.

Removal of Academic Probation: Such academic standing is removed when the cumulative GPA is raised to 2.0 or higher, with the following exceptions:

1. A transfer student may not remove probation by summer class work alone;

2. If an I grade is removed after the student has enrolled, the new grade’s effect on academic standing is based on its inclusion with grades for the term for which the student is enrolled; and

3. Exercise of the Adjusted Credit Option does not change academic status until subsequent grades are earned.

Academic Suspension: When a student does not achieve a semester 2.0 GPA or higher, and the cumulative remains below a 2.0 while under Academic Probation II, the student is placed on Academic Suspension. Students under Academic Suspension are not allowed to take NMSU-A courses while under suspension. Students under Academic Suspension must sit out a minimum of one (1) semester and then petition the Vice President for Academic Affairs to be removed from Academic Suspension. At this time, the suspension status will be evaluated for possible removal. Should the suspension be lifted, the student is placed on Academic Probation II until such time that the cumulative GPA equals or exceeds a 2.0. At the discretion of the Vice President for Academic Affairs, the student will enter into a contract approved by the Vice President for Academic Affairs and the student’s Academic Advisor setting stipulations to have the suspension removed. Failure to adhere to the contract will return the student to Academic Suspension.

Under certain conditions, a student may be re-admitted at NMSU or one of its community colleges under regular status while under Academic Suspension when satisfactory progress has been demonstrated at another college or university. Credits earned at another university or college while under Academic Suspension from NMSU or another university or college will be accepted at NMSU only after the student demonstrates satisfactory progress over a period of two semesters after being re-admitted to NMSU.

Acceptance of transfer credits that count toward degree requirements is still governed by the rules established by the student’s respective college or campus.

Effect of Summer Attendance: Students suspended at the close of the spring semester may have their Academic Suspension rescinded if they attend the summer session at NMSU or one of its community colleges. Such attendance must raise the combined spring semester and summer GPA to 2.0 or better.

A certification of eligibility to attend summer sessions at NMSU or one of its community colleges after a spring semester Academic Suspension is available to the suspended student who wishes to attend summer sessions at other institutions.

Disciplinary Probation and Suspension: NMSU-A expects all students to regard themselves as responsible citizens on campus and in the community.

Repeated misconduct and major violations will cause the student to be subject to immediate suspension or expulsion from the university.

The general rules and regulations applicable to students are in the “Student Code of Conduct” of the Student Handbook or can be obtained from Advising & Career Services.

Graduation Requirements

The ultimate responsibility for planning an academic program in compliance with university and departmental/program requirements rests with the student.

In order to graduate, students must fulfill requirements of a degree plan in a catalog that is no more than six years old at the time of their graduation and is no older than the year when the student began higher education coursework at NMSU.

Note: The degree plans in this catalog are effective summer, 2012, and are in effect through the spring semester 2018.

Associate Degree:

To earn an Associate Degree at the NMSU Alamogordo Campus, a student must:

• Have regular degree-seeking admission status.

• Complete a minimum of 66 credits hours or more as specified in each degree. (Courses with an “N” suffix do not apply to any degree.)

• Have an average of two points (2.0) per credit (or higher if required by the specific degree) in all courses taken at any NMSU campus.

• The last 15 credit hours must be taken through NMSU-A or any NMSU campus. College Level Examination Program (CLEP), DANTES, USAFI, transfer credit, or course challenge credits cannot be used as part of the student’s last 15 semester credits.


To earn a Certificate at the NMSU Alamogordo Campus, a student must:
• Have regular admission status.

• Have at least a 2.0 grade point average.

• The last 15 credit hours must be taken through NMSU-A or any NMSU campus. College Level Examination Program (CLEP), DANTES, USAFI, transfer credit, or course challenge credits cannot be used as part of the student’s last 15 semester credits.

Deadline for Course Substitutions and Waivers: Latest date for substitution or waiver of required courses for degree candidates is two weeks after the last date of registration for regular or summer terms.

COLL 101 (College/Life Success) Waiver Policy: All associate degrees (except Nursing) from NMSU Alamogordo require 1-3 credits of COLL 101 for graduation. Waived credits do not count in minimum credit requirements for degrees; students must still meet minimum credit requirements for the degree earned; however, students who meet one of the following criteria may waive COLL 101 (paperwork must be submitted by deadlines noted above):

• An ACT score of 21 or higher.

• Compass scores of English 85 and Math 66 or higher.

• 28 hours of college transfer credit with a 3.0 GPA or higher.

• A minimum of an associate degree.

Filing Notice of Degree Candidacy: Degree candidates are required to file an application for degree and pay the degree application fee for each degree sought. Applications for Associate Degrees are available online through the mynmsu.eduaccount. Appropriate fees are assessed during the online process ($25 for each associate degree). Applications for Certificates must be picked up in Advising & Career Services and submitted to the NMSU-A Business Office with the appropriate fee ($10 per certificate). Applications must be completed by the deadline noted in the Schedule of Classes. There is an additional $25 late fee for applications filed after the deadline date. No applicatons will be accepted after the late fee deadline.

If degree requirements are not completed during the semester or session for which the student paid the fee, the degree will be denied and the student must reapply and pay the appropriate fee.

A student must specify the catalog year as indicated under “Graduation Requirements.”

All fees and bills owed the university must be paid before a student may receive a diploma or transcript of credits.

Attendance at Commencement: The Vice President for Student Success confirms eligibility to participate in commencement exercises held at the close of the spring semester. Eligible candidates (registered for final degree requirements, as certified by an Academic Advisor) and degree recipients from the previous summer, fall, or current spring semester may participate in the ceremony which is held at the end of every spring semester. Participation in commencement does not, in itself, mean that a student is considered an NMSU-A graduate. In order to receive a degree, a student must fulfill university requirements. The degree will reflect the graduation date when all requirements are met.

Recognition of Degrees and Certificates: Degrees and certificates earned are recorded on the student’s academic record.

Transcript of Credits: An official transcript, the University’s certified statement of your complete NMSU academic record, includes coursework, grades, and degrees earned. Credit hours earned through transfer work are not listed in detail, but do appear as cumulative totals. Transcripts are available as digitally signed PDFs or printed copies. Transcripts can be ordered online at A fee is charged. The name on the transcript will be the same as on the official NMSU records. Name changes are processed only for current students. No transcript will be released if the student is in debt to the university.