Fiber Optics Technician Certification Course
Instructor: Bill Pruett
Date: December 16-18, 2013
Location: Pro Tech Building, Room TBA
This introductory 3-day fiber optics course is designed for anyone interested in becoming a Certified Fiber Optics Technician. This program combines theory with 85% hands-on training to prepare the student to take the CFOT (Certified Fiber Optics Technician) test that is sanctioned by the FOA (Fiber Optics Association) and given and graded the final class day. This course also introduces the student to industry standards governing FTTD (Fiber To The Desk) and FTTH (Fiber To The Home).
This course introduces the student to basic fusion and mechanical splicing. Students will also learn how to identify fiber types, recognize various connectors used in fiber installation, and install, terminate, splice, and properly test installed fiber cable to existing standards.
This program explores the history and future of fiber optics and fiber optics capabilities, and discusses the cost of installation. Course fee includes study materials, Text Book, and CD. Note: The student must pass both the written and hands-on exams to successfully pass this course. (3 days)
Standards covered: NECA/FOA-301-2004, EIA/TIA 568-B 3, ANSI/TIA/EIA 607-A, and NEC Article 770-50. Upon successful completion, this program is recognized for BICSI CECs (Continuing Education Credits): RCDD 21, Installer Level /2 Technician 21 CECs.
Suggested Prerequisite: Basic working knowledge of computers. Able to see and identify small items. Able to speak and understand the English language. Anyone interested in becoming a Certified Fiber Optics Technician should attend this class.
Textbook: Fiber Optics Technician’s Reference Manual by Jim Hayes. Supplementary study materials include course CD and Student Lab Manual. Course fee includes all study materials, consumables and exams.
Day – 1:
- Introduction to Fiber Optics
- History and Future of Fiber Optics Networking
- Fiber To the Desk
- Fiber To The Home
- K-12 Fiber Optics Networking
- Fiber Optics Safety
- Hands-on Session Begins
Day – 2:
- Fiber Optics Networking Standards
- BICSI, RCDD Certification, CFOT Certification
- Fiber Optics Cable and Connector Identification.
- Outside Plant Cable Introduction.
- Hands-on Session Continues –
Termination of Fiber Connectors, Splicing (Mechanical & Fusion), Design & Installation of Fiber Cabling, Introduction to Splicing
Day – 3:
- Outside Plant Fiber Cable preparation, termination & testing.
- Introduction to Basic OTDR Functions,
- Use of the OTDR, Power Source and Light Meter Functions
- Continuity Testing, Tools and Equipment
- Class Discussion
- Administer and Grade CFOT Written &
- Test Results & Review, Conclusion
“Instructor was excellent.”
“I liked both his ability to communicate and his presentation.”