Many students, at one time or another, will need assistance beyond what we can provide in the Office of Student Services. All of us face a variety of personal, social, or financial problems as we move through life. There may be times when these problems seem to be too difficult to deal with on our own. To assist our students in finding the help they need, we have made a list of providers or agencies who have been helpful to students in the past.
The following are agencies or providers who offer assistance with personal and psychological difficulties.
- The Counseling Center: 1900 E. 10th Street, 437-7404
Offers a variety of counseling and psychological services. A sliding fee scale is available for person with financial difficulties. A 24-hour Help Line is available by calling 437-8680.
- Alamogordo Mental Health Services:
Offers a variety of counseling and psychological services.
- Otero County Council on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism: 850 Wright Ave, 437-8942
Provides services to all individuals suffering directly or indirectly from alcoholism and alcohol abuse.
- Mental Health – Holloman Air Force Base: 572-5676
Provides services to military members and families only. Both psychiatric and psychological services are available. Provides referrals to Counseling Partnership (no charge) or to local providers (via TriCare).
The following are agencies that serve a wide variety of needs for children and families.
- Children in Need of Services: 501 24th Street, 434-3011
CHINS, a local non-profit organization, has provided services for children and families in Otero & Lincoln Counties for over 30 years. CHINS employs over 100 dedicated professionals providing a variety of services designed to support and strengthen families. This makes CHINS one of the larger employers in Otero County.
- C.O.P.E., Inc.: 909 So. Florida, 437-COPE (2673)
Provides 24-hour confidential safe-home services for victims of domestic violence.
- ZIA Therapy Center, Inc.: 900 E. First Street, 439-4900
Provides physical and speech therapy for disabled and disadvantaged children and their families; parenting skill classes and counseling.
- NM Children, Youth, and Families, Protective Division: 2200 Indian Wells-Suite A, 434-5950
Provides assistance to children and families in cases of neglect and abuse. Provides foster care and adoptions.
- Family Services Program: Holloman Air Force Base, 49MSS/MSSSS, 850 1st Street, 572-3944.
Services for military members and families only. Provides information of other bases, loan closet for moving families, car seat checkout, layette program for first born for E-5’s and below. Personal finance workshops, transition assistance, Job Bank & Resume Center, employment classes, academic financial aid, and a variety of other services.
- Family Support Center: Holloman Air Force Base, 850 1st Street, 572-7754
Provides a variety of services for Air Force family, active duty, and retirees. Services include Air Force Aid, Family Education and Life Skills, Financial Management Education, support during family separation, information and referral, spouse deployment counseling, relocation assistance, transition assistance, and volunteer resources.
- Military Equal Opportunity: 290 1st Street-Suite 1100, Holloman Air Force Base, 572-3032
Provides education in chemical abuse (drugs/alcohol) prevention and human relations. It conducts a drug and alcohol rehabilitation program for military, civilians, retirees, and dependents.
A list of child care providers can be obtained fro the NM Children, Youth, and Families, SSD at 2200 Indian Wells, 437-5950
- St. John’s Day School – 1114 Indiana, 434-2755
- Full House – 1815 No. Florida Ave, 434-9553
- Karrousel Pre-School and Child Care Center – 1201 Cuba, 437-7052
- Otero County Child Care Center – 211 No. Florida Ave, 437-6055
- CDC East @ HAFB – 541 New Mexico Ave, 572-7505
- CDC West @ HAFB – 220 Patterson Drive, 572-3753
- Youth Center @ HAFB – 226 Patterson Drive, 572-3753
- Children’s House – 2598 Medical Drive, 434-3218
- Children’s World – 2103 E. 1st St, 434-3150
- Cloudcroft United Methodist Preschool – PO Box 229, 682-2264
- Circle of Friends – 3005 N. White Sands Blvd, 434-8338
- Little Saints Preschool – 1000 E. 8th St, 437-7821
- Fred Hickman – PO Box 176, 464-3000
- Head Start – Alamogordo – 1800 1st St, 434-6313
- House of Angels – 1301 Florida Ave, 437-6055
- Teaching Our Children – 211 N. Florida, 437-6055
- Tiny Tots – 1600 Indian Wells, 437-2213
- Zia Therapy Center – 900 1st Street, 439-4921
- Early Years – PO Box 502, 378-1567
- First Christian Church – PO Box 2475, 258-1490
- Little Rascals Club – 200 Horton Circle, 258-4156
These are agencies that can provides financial assistance.
- NM Income Support Division: 2000 Juniper, 437-9260
Provides economic support for individuals and families in need of assistance (food stamps, welfare assistance).
- Financial Aid Office, NMSU-A: Student Services Building, 2400 No. Scenic Dr, 439-3710
Assist students in obtaining a variety of educational financial aid including grants, scholarships, and loans.
- Salvation Army or Salvation Army’s Facebook Page: 1900 E. 1st Street, 443-0845.
Assist families with food and clothing items.
- Adult Education: New Mexico State University – Alamogordo, 2400 No. Scenic Drive, 439-3812
Provides a variety of services for students seeking to obtain their GED, improve their basic skills in a range of subjects, instruction in English as their second language, and instruction/information on citizenship.
- Career Services: New Mexico State University – Alamogordo, 2400 No. Scenic Drive, 439-3720
Provides career advising for students and others interested in exploring career options. Help available for resumes writing, interviewing and job searches.
- New Mexico Commission of the Blind: 408 No. White Sands, 437-0401
Provides services and training for people and students with visual disabilities.
- NM Workforce Connection: 901 Alaska Ave, 437-9210
Provides a variety of job related services including unemployment benefits, help finding job, and Workforce Investment Act (WIA).
- New Mexico Division of Vocational Rehabilitation: 2300 Indian Wells, 437-6550
Provides services, including educational assistance, to persons with a variety of disabilities.
- NM Works/WIA: 1509 A Tenth Street
Assists Tannif clients, training dislocated workers, and provides training for work skills.