NMSU-A Townsend Library
Alternative Energy Resources
- Anderson, Bruce and Wells, Malcolm.”Passive Solar Energy — The Homeowner’s Guide to Natural Heating and Cooling”, 2005, A down-to-earth free online book, 160 pages http://www.builditsolar.com/Projects/SolarHomes/PasSolEnergyBk/PSEbook.htm
Austin Energy “Green Building Sustainable Building Source book”, 2011. 50+ pages, On-Line book by a power company, few pictures, lots of ideas, sort of like the LEED building program.
- Austin Energy “Green Building Sustainable Building Source book”, 2011. 50+ pages, On-Line book by a power company, few pictures, lots of ideas, sort of like the LEED building program.
- Balcomb J. Douglas,” Passive Solar Buildings, 1992, 500+ pages, 36 chapters, Balcomb’s compendium of 70-80s solar research. NMSU Library, Las CrucesChiras, Dan, “The Solar House, Passive Heating and Cooling”, 2002, Holloman Base LibraryCrosbie, Michael J., “The Passive Solar Design and Construction Handbook”, 1997, Wiley, 300+ pages
(construction details) “Library Loan “Thomas Branigan Library, Las Cruces)Georgia Builder’s very complete guide to efficient houses 150+ pages http://www.southface.org/ez/media/georgiabuildersguide.pdf
- Chiras, Dan, “The Solar House, Passive Heating and Cooling”, 2002, Holloman Base Library
- Crosbie, Michael J., “The Passive Solar Design and Construction Handbook”, 1997, Wiley, 300+ pages (construction details) “Library Loan “Thomas Branigan Library, Las Cruces)
- Georgia Builder’s very complete guide to efficient houses. 150+ pages. www.southface.org/ez/media/georgiabuildersguide.pdf
- Luce, Ben, “Passive Solar Design Guidelines for Northern New Mexico “, 2004, 30 p. of Balcomb’s expertise, http://www.nmsea.org/Education/Homeowners/Detailed_Passive_Solar_Guidelines.php
- Mazria, Edward, “The Passive Solar Energy Book, A complete guide to Passive Solar Homes” 1979, 400+ pages, Oldie but goodie, Alamogordo Public Library.Southface Home energy DIY projects, 86 pages. download http://www.southface.org/ez/media/homeenergyprojects.pdf
- Southface Home energy DIY projects, 86 pages download
- Theis, T.& Tomkin J., Ed “Sustainability: A Comprehensive Foundation” 2015, 500+pages, free download college textbook, many authors U of Illinois, Undergraduate text, Very comprehensive. Free
By chapters : http://legacy.cnx.org/content/col11325/1.43
Whole book: http://firstname.lastname@example.org/pdf
- Tickell, Joshua, “From the Fryer to the Fuel Tank” Guide to Using Veg. Oil as an Alternative Fuel, 2000, 160 pages. How to DIY Biodiesel. Alamogordo Public Library. 629.2538
- TickWiles, John, “Photo Voltaic Power Systems and the National Electrical Code – Suggested Practices” 2010, 149 pages, rules for wiring PV, http://www.nmsu.edu/~tdi/Photovoltaics/Codes-Stds/PVnecSugPract.html
- http://www.biodiesel.org/ (BioDiesel Association, many
topics, basics to difficult)
DIY instructions quite complete for cooking oil to usable biodiesel fuel, with many explanations.
North Carolina based company, many URLs and files for education on biofuels
- http://www.sapphireenergy.com/locations/green-crude-farm/ (Sapphire Energy’s algae to diesel/jet fuel experiments at Las Cruces & Columbus, NM)
Local Library book, see author Tickell under Books category
- http://mackintosh.aud.ucla.edu/heed/ (HEED:
Home Energy Efficient Design; free house energy program from UCLA. And free relatively local weather included. 2010, for Windows. Looks
complete and complicated.)
- http://www.wbdg.org/resources/energyanalysis.php (Nat. Inst. of Building Sciences is a giant URL about whole building design, & long articles on types, sources, predicted results (2011) Looks difficult.)
- https://analysis.nrel.gov/homer/ (Nat. Renewable Energy Laboratory’s HOMER program for electricity analysis to find the best possible combination of alternative electricity.)
Updating the World on the Latest Climate Science, 26 scientists, free download.
The Most Terrifying Video You’ll Ever See, YouTube video, or read Mr. Greg Craven’s follow-on book “What’s the Worst That Could Happen?: A Rational Response” at Alamogordo Public Library
Santa Fe, NM monthly news (& on-line) Green Newspaper.
- Hansen, J.E., “Storms of my Grandchildren : the truth about the coming climate catastrophe and our last chance to save humanity”, 2009, Alamogordo Public Library.
- McKibben, B. “Eaarth : making a life on a tough new planet”, 2010, Alamogordo Public Library.
Giant U.S. Gov site of Energy Information Admin.
Map of sunshine in USA
(Sun Track chart by solar hour and elevation, enter zip code, and print chart)
True North = 360 – Magnetic Deviation if East, or 0 + M.D if West, via zip code or Latitude/Longitude
Data, SW Weather, Averages, Historical
- http://www.wrcc.dri.edu/summary/Climsmnm.html (Tabulated by station in SW states, scroll down to State, select town, or use Map)
- http://www.wrcc.dri.edu/htmlfiles/westwind.final.html (Ave Wind by state/town, Use edit button on Word, then Find (on this page) option.)
- http://www.degreedays.net/# (HDD and CDD calculated for last
year, maybe 5, by city/state New Site, results as Excel Spreadsheet)
(NASA satellite data, enter latitude and longitude, and information needed, must register. Fairly
- http://www.nrel.gov/rredc/ (National Data on Solar, Wind,
Geothermal , Biomass. Giant Site, also data by State.)
Explanation of degree-day – quite lengthy.
- http://nmsea.org/Directory/ (large selection mostly northern
NM, Giant listing of NM alternative energy businesses)
In Otero County – Alamogordo – Tularosa:
- John Kloepper, email@example.com 575.443.6157 Purchase PV hardware wholesale, not an installer
- Rod Sims, http://simsgreenenergy.com/ 575.551.1662 Inspections for efficient buildings, green plans
- Ed. Baker, Building Specialties 575.437.5055 Master Carpenter, Passive solar
- Otero County Habitat for Humanity 575.437.6562 Builds Energy Star, & NM Green Built silver small houses
- Rentschler Electric Co. Installs PV & wind 575.446.9140 161 Hwy 82, ALM firstname.lastname@example.org
Does business in Otero County:
See Electricity, PV (Photo Voltaic) Equipment, Hardware below
Four page article about solar distillation
DIY plans for solar distiller
- http://www.builditsolar.com/SiteMap.htm (very large site with all sorts of ideas)
- http://www.homepower.com/ (Home Power Magazine, some articles
require subscription, not an entirely free URL)
- http://www.motherearthnews.com (Magazine, lots of articles on self sufficiency, check DIY e-newsletter also)
- http://www.dulley.com/list.shtml (Private Engineer, articles to read for free and for sale at $3 each)
86 pages of Home energy DIY projects
Arizona based, Sustainable Living…many projects for DIY
Teachers clues at the URL, and in SunChaser School Programs (in Alamogordo too) look at URL: http://www.nmsolar.org/Pages/SunChaser
- http://nmsua.edu/continuing-ed/ (Solar and Energy Efficiency Courses taught in Fall. office: 575.439.3842 or AlamoCommEdu@nmsu.edu)
Scroll down to “Schools with Sol” for 3 booklets for HS teachers and students.
- http://www.pasolar.ncat.org/lessons.php (free on-line solar lessons, not too technical, not necessary to register, DSHW & PV)
Free college courses, many topics check energy, sustain, climate…
- http://www1.eere.energy.gov/femp/technologies/eep_res_windows.html(Windows, Skylights, Doors, etc.)
- http://www.energystar.gov/ (Large site to include appliances and home certification)
- http://www.hot-water-heaters-reviews.com/condensing-water-heaters.html (Water heater reviews, tankless and condensing)
List of energy use from those electronic devices around the house
Giant URL with many articles, and videos about green homes & green products & green ideas.
- http://www.energysavers.gov/ (many ways to do home
- http://standby.lbl.gov/faq.html (standby power “vampires”, electronics and appliances can use power even in “off” mode)
- http://www.efficientwindows.org (try fact sheets, toolkits for builders, and FAQ buttons) good windows save on lighting and heating
- http://www.skylightguys.com/velux-skylights-fcm.asp (skylight information, low eskyslights and FAQ)
- http://www.solatube.com/homeowner/brightenup.php (solar tube information, the new-age skylight, good for retro applications)
- http://pvwatts.nrel.gov/ (PV calculator . very complete, but can be a challenge to make it work )
- http://www.nmsu.edu/~tdi/ (about wiring PV, left column – Photovoltaic, Codes, Pubs, etc, also see Wiles under Books above.)
many PV code articles by our NMSU John Wiles
Homeowner’s Guide to Leasing Solar Electric System.
- http://www.positiveenergysolar.com/ (NM PV retail installer, many aspects of PV discussed at their web site.)
- http://www.goCSTsolar.com/ (Albuquerque & Las Cruces
based retailer PV installer.)
Las Cruces base PV contractor.
Albuquerque Sun Tracker for PV array, Retailer, sizing for your modules and pricing.
- http://www.builditsolar.com/Projects/WaterPumping/UTESolarStockWateringpb1640.pdf (a 16 page article on water
pumping with PV panels, references at end of article.)
S. Central NM Retail water pump business
- http://environment.nationalgeographic.com/environment/global-warming/wind-power-interactive.html (nice interactive site to learn how big wind turbines work.)
PNM New Mexico wind farms, construction pictures and other power plants.
- http://www.awea.org/ (click on “small wind” tab, The American
Wind Energy Assn.)
- http://www.bergey.com/ (Wind Store in Norman, Okla, lots of
- http://www.homepower.com/basics/wind/ (Nice magazine article with pictures and diagrams on small wind + links)
- http://www.eere.energy.gov/topics/wind.html (Many topics about small wind.)
- http://www.omafra.gov.on.ca/english/engineer/facts/03-047.htm#appropriate (nice 5 page monograph about small wind sizing and power, with metric numbers
(Canadian) http://www.helixwind.com/en/ small vertical wind generators, german engineering)
- http://www.windpower.org/en/knowledge/guided_tour.html (A web book on the science of windmill power, Danish, click on guided tour, or windpower wiki for lesson, or other topics.)
- http://www.dsireusa.org/ (Database for Fed & Individual State Incentives for Renewable & Efficiency. GIANT listing)
- http://www.getcozy.com/index.php (Nice listing of 2009- 2016 Federal (30%) energy tax credits available for existing homes/businesses.)
- http://www.energystar.gov/index.cfm?c=products.pr_tax_credits (Complicated listing of 30% Federal tax credits for energy efficiency, many categories)
- http://www.pnm.com/solar/ (PNM site for New Mexico net metering, & REC metering of PV to the grid, applications, rules, etc.)
- http://www.ocec-inc.com/content/programs (Otero County Electric Coop, NM’s net metering and REC policy)
New Mexico’s 10% and US Gov’s 30% solar tax credit for PV and Solar Thermal active systems. Q&A + instructions + forms Contact the above: http://www.emnrd.state.nm.us/ECMD/STAFF/contact.html
Listing of NM renewable energy incentives.
Fed energy/solar tax rebates form 5695 + instructions
Citizens’ Solution Guide for Energy 9 pages about the USA’s energy situation, current.
- http://www.nmsea.org/Resources/Web_Resources.php (General big listing of URLs arranged by topic. Different topics than this list)
- http://tonto.eia.doe.gov/ask/faq.asp (Energy FAQs)
- http://www.azsolarcenter.com/ (Basics, good pictures, Look
under Technology, and Technology for Consumer. very well done site, and good teacher ideas too)
Office of Science & Technology Information , Dept Of Energy , giant library search.
- http://www.nrel.gov/ (National Renewable Energy Lab, lots of topics on energy savings, all levels.)
- http://www.nrcan.gc.ca/energy/home (Canadian government renewable energy site. Many interesting things.)
- http://www.howstuffworks.com/ (Nice site for good
explanations of the hows of most everything. Careful- a few commercial ads right up front, just scroll down to get to the good stuff.)
Austin based Sustainable Living , lots of projects, and current activities.
Giant URL, more oriented to energy in general
- http://www.eia.doe.gov/kids/energy.cfm?page=kids_glossary (General terms about energy (for older kids and beginners, but very complete)
- http://www.awil.ca/downloads/pdf/EARTH-BuyersGuide-ResidentialEarthEnergySystems.pdf (download a 40 page Canadian Earth Energy booklet about Ground Coupled Heat Pumps. easy read.)
source for info, equipment and installers and misc other stuff
How it works 3 pages.
- http://www.waterfurnace.com/ (Geothermal Heat Pump Manufacturer, Dealer in Truth or Consequences, NM, efficiency calculator)
For energy star certification 6 areas for energy star certification of new homes
Energy Star for new home design guidance (latest changes to E-Star)
Home Energy Rating System (HERS Index) provides a relative energy for buildings. A HERS Index of 100 represents the energy use of the “American Standard Building,” and an index of zero indicates that the proposed building uses no net purchased energy (a zero energy building).
National URL, rating systems at upper left a big topic about bronze- silver- gold- emerald ratings
New Mexico’s Green Builder’s Assn. Dates for paperwork, rebates, and other goodies
Green Building Guidelines, ver. 2012 about 30 pages free
- http://greenhomeguide.com/program/leed-for-homes (Never heard of LEED? Start here.)
U. S. Green Building Counsel – What is LEED? Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design
LEED rating system, find type of structure, for Homes, Schools, Commercial, etc
LEED v4 or Leadership in Energy & Environmental Design – for Homes, voluntary participation by builders & owners (Gold, Silver, Bronze, levels)
USGBC New Mexico Chapter, P.O. Box 25771, Albuquerque, NM 87125-5771 505.227.0474
How to Guide for LEED certification for New Mexico, April 2007, 100 pages
Giant URL with all sorts of research and ideas about residential building types. This Home Innovation Research Labs is a commercial subsidiary of National Association of Home Builders (NAHB), Check out the Green tab also.
- https://www.energystar.gov/index.cfm?fuseaction=HOME_ENERGY_YARDSTICK.showGetStarted (easy) Yardstick, there are errors in HDDs and CDDs used vs zip code entered. ie Alamogordo and Cloudcroft have the identical HDD, CDD climate impossible)
- http://hes.lbl.gov (harder) sessions can be saved.)
- http://www.ase.org/section/_audience/consumers/homecheckup (very complete but do-able)
- http://www.builditsolar.com/References/Calculators/HeatLoss/HeatLoss.htm (looks ineresting, uses R values, areas of ceilings and walls, window area, etc.)
(Dept of Energy free software for doing home energy analysis, must sign in, quite rigorous and up to date.)
- http://www.motherearthnews.com/Renewable-Energy/Home-Energy-Audits.aspx?page=1 (6 page article, Why have a home energy audit? URL pages sort of messy.)
- http://www.nachi.org/greenbuildingcoursereleased2007.htm (free green home inspector’s course. And home of nat. assn. certified home inspectors.)
- http://www.askthebuilder.com/B248_Home_Inspection_Checklist.shtml (DIY home inspection checklist, does not replace a professional inspection.)
- http://www.homeinspector.org/ (Home of American Soc. For
Home Inspectors. Very respected organization for inspectors.)
Basics & Articles on solar hot water heating.
(Make a Passive Batch collector)
downloadable book Batch Hot Water, DIY
City of Austin, TX, long papers about Solar Hot Water Systems
Solar Rating and Certification Corporation, certification of solar heating panels.
AAA Solar Albuquerque Retail store, see Retail Stores below
how to improve home hot water heater efficency via electric timers and other methods. technical
(green builders newsletters, about 20 pages each month)
Large library from Rocky Mountian Institude – click on the + signs to see further specifics, can be rather difficult to just browse, unless one knows the exact title.
National Renewable Energy Laboratory, catalog, , extensive library in PDF format, Golden, Colorado
Huge source of information, also check the URL by adding /tools/ faqs or /reports/
- http://www.homeenergy.org/ (Relatively expensive, but many searchable articles available under DIY)
- http://www.homepower.com/ (very nice for homeowner alt energies, nice on-line basics review, some articles without membership.)
- http://www.motherearthnews.com (classic DIY magazine)
“Solar Energy Today”, on line magazine, articles under Features or in magazines. The big picture by American Solar Energy Society
- http://science.howstuffworks.com/living-off-the-grid.htm (many essays on the systems to live off grid + other links.)
send an email to get log in instructions to email@example.com
No Grid Electricity, PV and Wind for Electricity, Batteries for storage, DC powered well, near High Rolls
- http://www.nrel.gov/docs/fy04osti/32765.pdf ( High-End Passive Solar, Off-grid, heavy analysis of all aspects of house selfsufficency 1997, 50+ pages)
New Mexico Solar Energy Association, State wide organizations, (Alamogordo branch meets every (info on fact sheets, workshops, contractor listing, conventions, etc)
- http://www.ases.org/ (National – American Solar Energy Society, big multifasited organzation, their mag is SolarToday.)
- http://www.solarenergy.org/ (Solar Energy International,
Carbondale, CO, Solar Education.)
- http://www.nmsea.org/Passive_Solar/Passive_Solar_Design.htm (Primer on Passive Solar House Design)
- http://www.nmsea.org/Education/Homeowners/Detailed_Passive_Solar_Guidelines.php (More extensive design of Passive Solar Houses, written for Northern NM, many numbers.)
- http://www.dnr.mo.gov/pubs/pub1293.pdf (Nice 5 little page checklist for passive solar home design.)
- http://www.azsolarcenter.com/design/pas-2.html (About 12 pages, many ideas about passive designing options, with schematics)
- http://www.eeba.org/bookstore/cat-Builders_Guides-4.aspx ($45 for 400+ page builder’s guides, Alamogordo is probably Hot-Dry/Mixed-Dry Climate, while Northern NM and Cloudcroft /Ruidoso are Cold Climates.)
- http://www.dennisrhollowayarchitect.com/SimpleDesignMethodology.html (NM architect: thoughts for passive design, 1980s ideas, interesting numbers, good discussion)
- http://www.wbdg.org/index.php (Massive URL, about Whole
Building Design Guide including: Types, Tools, E-courses, Etc)
- https://homepower.com/articles/passive-solar-retrofit (Remodel Magazine 1997 Article 10 pages and adding sunspace and links .)
- http://passivehouse.us/ (US version of European very low energy
- http://www.zeroedesign.com/ (builder of zero energy homes
in Northern NM, ramed earth blocks, small specially built houses.)
- http://www.e-colab.org/ecolab/Fairview2.html (Illinois Builder of super efficient houses. Pictures of house construction, explore site for more info.)
- http://solaroregon.org/workshops-and-education/tours/goal-net-zero-2010/passive-house-talk-outline-tad-everhart (Summary of Europe’s passive house standards and links.)
- http://www.thesolarguide.com/solar-thermal/radiant-heating.aspx (Listing of various types of solar radiant heating.)
- http://www.backwoodshome.com/articles/hackleman64.html (Long Q&A article about NM solar
radiant home heat.)
- http://www.radiantsolar.com/index.php (Vermont based store with articles, prices, blunders)
- http://www.energycodes.gov/rescheck/ (U.S. DOE code program)
- http://www.energycodes.gov/resource-center/glossary (glossary of all energy/code terms and accronyms)
search on standards. NM energy code: Check with Mr. Fred Gallegos, Architectural compliance officer NM CID, Las Cruces firstname.lastname@example.org
(Also look under Electricity, PV and in Books under Wiles for more on these codes
- AAA Solar Supply Inc: 2021 Zearing Ave NW, Albuquerque, NM 87104, 505.243.0885 Solar in Albuquerque, Between Old Town and I-40 New and Used.
- http://www.bergey.com/ (Wind Power retail, Norman , OK, many
details about costs, siting and payback.)
- http://www.affordable-solar.com/ (Wholesale Albuquerque Solar Electricity Store.)
Many Canadian energy programs, free of charge
(PV calculator . very complete, but can be a challenge to make it work)
( Building energy management, with renewable inputs)
- http://www.buildinggreen.com/auth/article.cfm/1998/4/1/Thermal-Mass-and-R-value-Making-Sense-of-a-Confusing-Issue/ (Explaining Thermal Mass v.s. R value)
Long essay on using thermal mass stored energy in the home
- http://www.solar-components.com/tubes.htm (location of water containers)
Overview of home analysis via thermal imaging.
Use of inexpensive TI gun for home heat loss areas.
List of 15+ e-brochures on water conservation
Gray Water…..NM engineers 15 page e-pamphlet on gray water in NM.
Xeriscaping, land scape with low water use. 45 pages in color from City of Albuquerque, NM
- http://www.efficientwindows.org/ (Many hidden factsheets here. toolbox/ builder toolkit , your state codes & weather zones)
Listing of articles about selecting, economics, types, and window performance codes
very low U windows, in AZ and in NM soon.
National Fenestration Rating Council, determines the window energy rating label.
These URLS courtesy of NMSU-A Community Education Dept, and NMSEA-Alamogordo Chapter.