NMSU-A Townsend Library
Special Intersession hours:
Spring Break Hours
March 14 - 18, 2016
- Monday-Friday, 8:00 am - 5:00 pm
Maps & Geography
- Alamogordo – Alamogordo web page, sponsored by Alamogordo Chamber of Commerce. Includes community profile, area maps and mileage chart, business directory, and links to military, educational, religious and medical facilities. Links also to White Sands National Monument, Holloman Air Force Base, Alamogordo Daily News, local weather, Otero County Economic Development Council, and local realtors.
- Geographic Name Servers via YAHOO – Links to geographic searches and websites from around the world.
- Maps via YAHOO – Links to map searches and websites around the world.
- CIA World FactBook – Contains country profiles for most nations, including information about geography, politics, people, environmental issues, economy, communications, transportation systems, and transnational issues. Maps available.
- Color Landform Atlas of the U.S. – Contains maps of each of the 50 states, including relief maps, county maps, satellite maps, and historical maps.
- 50states.com – Links to information by state, including history, geography, economy, national and state parks, constitution, colleges and universities, climate, museums, public records, tourism, state emblems, etc.
- Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Place Names – Browser for searching geographical sites around the world.
- GEOnet Names Server – Provides access to the National Imagery and Mapping Agency’s (NIMA) database of foreign geographic feature names. The database is the official repository of foreign place-name decisions approved by the U.S. Board on Geographic Names (US BGN). Geographical area of coverage is worldwide, excluding the United States and Antarctica.
- Geographic Names Information System (GNIS) – Contains information about almost 2 million physical and cultural geographic features in the United States. The federally recognized name of each feature described in the database is identified, and references are made to a feature’s location by state, county, and geographic coordinates. Website also contains the Antarctica Geographic Names Data Base.
- National Atlas of the U.S. – This Atlas serves the interests and needs of a diverse populace as a research tool, an instrument of education and a reliable source of government information.
- National Geographic Map Machine – Maps available for all parts of the world and based on a wide variety of criteria. Includes maps indicating political boundaries, climate and weather, physical features, and ecoregions; street maps of U.S., Canada, and Europe; and historical geographical information about many parts of the world. Also includes images of the surface of Mars.
- U.S. Gazetteer (2010 Version) Identifies places to view with the Tiger Map Server and obtains census data from the 2010 Census Lookup server. Search by entering the name and state abbreviation (optional), or 5-digit zip code.
- Virtual Tourist – Provides links for travel and tour websites around the world. Includes travel tips, warnings, and cultural information for most locations. Information provided by member travelers.
- YAHOO List of Countries – Directory of websites about different countries.
- U.S. Library of Congress Country Studies – Contains on-line versions of books previously published in hard copy by the Federal Research Division of the Library of Congress under the Country Studies/Area Handbook Program sponsored by the U.S. Department of Army. Focuses primarily on lesser known areas of the world or regions in which U.S. forces might be deployed. The date of information for each country appears on the title page of each country and at the end of each section of text.
- MapQuest – Maps, driving directions and destination information for locations in the U.S. with links to selected foreign countries.