Work Location: Deming, NM
Closing Date: Apply early as this job may be removed or filled as soon as there are sufficient applicants.
Salary: $18.83 per hour
To Apply: http://www.unionpacific.jobs/
Basic Purpose of Job:
Repair and rebuild railroad track. Physical duties will require frequent walking over extended areas with uneven footing; flexibility sufficient for track maintenance tasks such as flexing to pick up tie plates; balance sufficient to walk on ballast; standing for more than half of each work day with periodic breaks; lift/carry and push/pull equipment and other objects weighing 25 lbs. (frequently), 50 lbs. (occasionally), and 75 lbs. (infrequently); occasional climbing on ladders; bending, stooping, and kneeling; good eye-hand coordination; and bilateral dexterity.
- Remove and install ties with tie tongs.
- Cut vegetation and brush when needed.
- Drive spikes into ties with a spike maul.
- Pull spikes with a claw bar.
- Install and remove rail anchors.
- Handle, place, and align tie plates under rails.
- Cut in rails.
- Plug spike holes.
- Lift rails using the manual track jack.
- Sweep, pick, and dig dust and snow from movable track parts.
- Remove and replace ballast.
- Unload or assist in unloading ballast from rail car, cart or truck.
- Adze ties.
- Clip and unclip elastic fasteners.
- Climb ladders.
- Dig holes and trenches.
- Observe condition of tracks, track beds, and track right of way for problems or defects.
- Perform track maintenance, repair, and installation.
- Handle and move track materials and equipment.
- Maintain track beds.
- Work with equipment.
- Understand and follow company and industry safety rules, practices, and procedures.
- Perform any other work not mentioned above that is required to construct or rehabilitate railroad tracks.
Required Education, Training, Experience or Skills:
- Applicants must be 18 years of age or older.
- Ability to perform heavy physical labor.
- Applicants must complete a physical agility test to be considered for an interview. If you have taken this test and failed within the last six months, you will not be eligible to apply for this position.
Preferred Education, Training, Experience or Skills:
- Valid Commercial Driver’s License (CDL). Click here to see the requirements to obtain a CDL.
- Experience operating construction or farm equipment.
- Welding or railroad maintenance of way experience.
On a post-offer basis, Union Pacific will conduct an investigation into newly hired or transferred employees regarding their past employment, state and federal criminal history, military history, driving history, education, professional license or certification verification if job-related, Social Security number, prior drug history, and other job-related information. Individuals with felony and/or misdemeanor convictions may not be hired.
Employment with Union Pacific is contingent upon the successful completion of a medical examination. The medical examination includes a drug screen, a color vision exam, and a medical assessment to ensure that candidates can safely perform the essential functions of the job, with or without reasonable accommodation. In addition, the company conducts for-cause, post-accident, and random drug and alcohol testing of its employees.
- Brotherhood of Maintenance of Way Employees.
- The probationary period is 60 calendar days.
- Union membership initiation fee and monthly dues or assessments are required as per the collective bargaining agreement.
Must wear personal protective equipment such as safety glasses, safety boots, hard hats, and hearing protection where the company requires. They will be working:
- Outside and exposed to all weather conditions.
- In many rural remote geographic areas.
- On the road or traveling, as required.
- Potentially on a seasonal basis contingent on weather, business conditions, or seniority.
- Schedules that may consist of five 8-hour days/2 days off; four 10-hour days/3 days off; or ten 8-hour days followed by accumulated rest days. Must be willing to work all 3 shifts, if needed. Subject to overtime, and weekend, holiday, and/or night work.
- Must be willing to work with, on and around moving heavy equipment.
Job applicants who have previously interviewed for this position regardless of geographical location can only reapply for this position after a period of six months has elapsed from the date of the interview
Please apply only to those locations where you are prepared to live and work.