Student Organizations Awards Banquet
The Student Organizations Awards Banquet was held Saturday, December 3, 2011 at the Tays Center and was open to all students. Over 200 signed up to attend.
Dr. Cheri Jimeno, NMSU-A President, welcomed the event participants. A strong supporter of student organizations and a firm believer in higher education, she enjoys working with students and being a part of the activities that the student organizations sponsor.
Daniel Taylor, NMSU-A Student Government President, thanked the student organizations for participating in the Welcome Back Day/“Block Party” and for their planning several events for Crimson Day which unfortunately was canceled due to bad weather. He then introduced the organization advisors, who presented certificates of appreciation to their organization’s active officers and members.
Organizations represented at the banquet included:
- Advocates for Children and Education – a service organization helping children in the community and supporting education. Activities this semester include fundraisers for scholarships and school supplies for disadvantaged children and the “Angel Tree” program. The group was also in charge of the food for this banquet. Advisors are Dr. Joyce Hill and Ms. Jenna Deinert.
- Campus Christian Fellowship – a service organization that holds prayer meetings and Bible studies. Activities this semester include partnering with the Chess Club to sponsor a blood drive and organizing the “See You at the Flag Pole” event. Advisors are Janet Delgado and Kay Flowers.
- Chess Club – a student organization that holds weekly chess instruction and games. Activities include partnering with CCF to sponsor a blood drive and sponsoring a chess demonstration by International Chess Champion, Matt Grinberg.
- NMSU-A Student Government – a very active organization co-sponsors the Town Hall Chats with PTK, provides funding for bike racks, tables, and benches, approves appropriation of funds by other organizations for their events, and coordinated the End of Semester Luau. The group also sponsored this awards ceremony. Advisors for NMSU-A Student Government are Kim Lopez-Gallagher and Judy Garcia.
- Phi Theta Kappa International Honor Society – an academic honor group who started the Town Hall Chats, sponsors the Commitment Wall and the Toys for Tots effort. This group was also in charge of the tables and the decorations for tonight’s banquet. Advisors are Dr. Jim Gallagher and Mr. Matthew Placencio.
- Social Science Club – a service organization interested in environmental and social concerns. The group plans to be more active in the spring semester. Advisors for the club are Wanda Wakkinen and Mr. Bill Lockhart.
Student Nurses Association is a new organization that chartered this year. They will start sponsoring blood drives in the spring. They have held two nurses pinning ceremonies this year. Advisors for the Student Nurses Association are Karen Sadowski and Ms. Rhonda Alterson.
Student Veterans of America-Alamogordo is also a new organization that chartered this year to assist veterans and their dependants. Activity: Veteran’s Day BBQ fund raiser for the Wounded Warrior program. Advisors of SVAA are Dr. Karen Reid, Charles Turpin, and Gary Bond.