NMSU Alamogordo Celebrates the NM Centennial.
NMSU-A was established in 1958 with an initial enrollment of 278 students. Classes were held at night at the old Alamogordo High School campus. The objective of this post-secondary educational venture was to serve the military and civilian personnel from HAFB, as well as students from the local non-military population.
Since its beginnings, NMSU-A has grown into a dynamic and thriving part of the southern New Mexico area. The photo was taken at the groundbreaking ceremony for the current campus on North Scenic around 1967 or 68. In the center is Mr. Marvin Rohovec, then Director of “Alamogordo Community College,” who led the campus through the process of growth and building a permanent home for the college.
NMSU Alamogordo moves forward with New Mexico’s Centennial celebrations the week of Nov. 5….
- Nov. 5-9: NMSU-A campus tours. Call 439-3737.
- Nov. 7 at 1:00 pm in NMSU-A’s Townsend Library-Book signing with Pete Eidenbach – An Atlas of Historic New Mexico Maps 1550-1941 – a definitive guide to New Mexico’s cartographic history.
- Nov. 9: NMSU-A Art Gallery showing at 4 pm at the ProTech Gallery featuring “New Deal” art exhibit.
- Nov. 9: No-host “Dinner with the Presidents” at Peppers Grill-6:30 pm. RSVP to 439-3626 NLT Nov. 3.
- Nov. 10 at 10 am: Veterans/Centennial parade-10th Street.
- Nov. 10 at 6:30 pm at Tays Special Events Center-New Trial of AB Fall.