Spring 2014 Graduation Ceremony Instructions
1. ARRIVAL: Please report to the lobby of the NMSU-A Tays Center with your cap and gown on, and your tassel hanging over the right side of your cap, no later than 6:30 pm on Friday, May 9, 2014. Certificate Recipients: Please also have your cap and gown on when you check in at 6:30 pm. We ask that you arrive at this time to allow sufficient time to check in and line up in proper order. There will be no rehearsal.
Tickets are not required. Please invite family and friends. If you have family and guests coming, please encourage them to arrive before 6:45 pm. Staff members will direct them when they arrive. Please have family members or guests hold your purse or other valuables.
2. CHECK-IN: Once you enter the building, you need to go immediately to the check-in table. You will check in alphabetically: A-L and M-Z. There you will receive an index card showing your name as it
will be announced during the program. If you are receiving more than one degree or certificate, this card will list all degrees you are receiving. Once you check-in, please do not leave the area.
3. LINE-UP: You will be directed to the Music Room to line up. Once in the correct line, please check the lower right hand corner of your index card for your number which indicates your order in line. Staff members will be available to help if you have questions.
4. PROCESSIONAL: Please follow the person in front of you. The student marshal (wearing a red gown/red honor stole) will lead graduates in. You will then be directed to your row. Continue down the row to your seat. Do not leave an empty chair beside you. Remain standing. You will be instructed when to be seated.
5. TASSEL: Everyone will be asked to switch the tassel from the right side of the cap to the left side when your degree is conferred.
6. RECEIVING YOUR DIPLOMA: You will follow the student marshal (dressed in red/red honor stole) to the stage stairs facing you. There you will step up the stairs, hand your index card to the announcer,
and wait until your name is called before you start to walk across the stage to shake hands, etc. After you have received your “diploma”, exit down the next set of stage stairs, and go back to your chair and sit down.
7. RECESSIONAL: When the ceremony is over, the student marshal will lead the last row out first. All other rows will follow the row in front of them. Please do not stop until you are completely out of the gym.
8. GOLD CORD GRADUATES/BACHELOR OF SCIENCE IN EDUCATION HONOR GRADS: All Gold Cord and Honor Graduates please come to the check-in table to receive your certificate after the ceremony.
The official diplomas will be mailed from New Mexico State University, Las Cruces. Spring 2014 graduates should receive their diplomas no later than July 1, 2014.