Make a Connection with Your Advisor
When you make an appointment for your first advising session, you will meet with an academic advisor to discuss your academic plan, select and register for classes, and be given a New Student handbook full of specific information necessary for success at NMSU-A. Get to know your advisor and read all the materials they suggest.
Required Reading for New Students:
The NMSU-A Catalog is the place to find degree requirements, course descriptions and college policies. Hold onto the print copy of the catalog you receive when you enter the college because the degree requirements are good for up to six years.
The NMSU-A Schedule of Classes comes out every semester and contain lots of critical dates and deadlines, instructions on registration, tuition and fee rates, the final exam schedule, campus maps and much more. Keep a copy of the Schedule with you in your book bag and reference this information often. Access the NMSU-A Course Schedule online!
Academic advising is an ongoing, shared partnership between you and your academic advisor that focuses on practically helping you identify, plan and achieve your academic goals.
In an academic advising session you may…
- Discuss your interests, skills, abilities, values and potential
- Identify academic goals
- Choose a degree
- Strategically plan out steps toward your goal
- Identify effective academic study skills and habits
- Solve problems that impede your progress toward your goal
- Be referred to appropriate campus resources
- Learn how to use useful computer technology like the my.NMSU.edu account and the STAR Degree Audit system
- Select and register for courses
Make a Connection with Your Advisor Progress Check
Congratulations - you have completed Make a Connection with Your Advisor Progress Check.
You scored %%SCORE%% out of %%TOTAL%%.
Your performance has been rated as %%RATING%%