Skip to main content

Advising FAQ


Discover your college. Discover your Future!

Advising Abitur Students Advising Documents and Links Advising FAQ My Academic Plans (MAPs) Probationary Students

Advising FAQ

  • I’m New! What do I do to get into college?
    To get into college, you must apply for admission with the Admissions and Records office located in the Student Services Building; or you may access an admissions form on the NMSU-A website – click on the Admissions link. You must provide this office with official transcripts from your high school or GED, and/or college transcripts from any college you have been admitted to. For more information you can call the admissions office at 439-3700, or email them at
  • Why do I need to do placements tests?
    Placement tests are a way for the academic advisors to determine what your skill level is in math, reading, and writing. With this information the academic advisors can assess your skills and know where to get you started in these subjects, as well as which classes you will be successful in while taking these classes. The tests are free and can be taken without an appointment.
    The schedule for the placement tests are located at the Advising and Career Services office in the Student Services building; or you may call 439-3787; or go to the NMSU-A Testing Center homepage. (Testing days and times may change without warning.)
    You may take your placement test any time between the scheduled hours; however, the Testing Center personnel request that if you wait until later in the day that you arrive at least 2 hours before the closing date to ensure you have completed on testing before they close.
    Contact your advisor for authorization paperwork.
  • My class is full. What do I need to do now?
    Classes will not be overloaded on the NMSU-A campus unless it is absolutely essential. If one or more of the classes you are trying to register for is full, you must choose another day/time/instructor for that class. If that class is not offered in other sections, then you must choose another class off your degree plan that is available. An academic advisor can help you with this if you get confused. Be sure to go ahead and register for the classes you have already listed on your registration document or entered online. You can always add a last later. Registering for the classes that are available will ensure your seat.
  • What do I need to do to activate my account?
    Instructions for activating your account is usually located on the inside cover of the Schedule of Classes.
  • I am having problems accessing my account. What do I do?
    If you had activated your account but now have problems accessing it because you forgot your username and/or password, you must call the number located on the log-in page.
  • What is CHOICES Planner and why do I need to do it?
    CHOICES planner is an online career assessment that allows you to discover your vocational personalities based on your likes, dislikes, values and goals. When finished with the assessment, CHOICES will categorize your occupational qualities and suggests careers that fit within these occupational qualities.
    All freshmen are required to complete the CHOICES Planner. It is an opportunity for you to get an idea of where you might want to go with your career. Choosing a career plan, even if it is one that may change, gives you and the academic advisor an idea of which associate degree to have you follow, which then leads to helping you choose your courses each semester.
  • Why do I have a freshman hold?
    All students who are new to the NMSU-A campus, and all students classified as freshmen (including transfer students), will have a hold placed upon them. This is to assure that beginning students have selected appropriate classes that meet their placement test results, have met prerequisites, and are aware of the services available to them. To have the hold removed you must speak with an academic advisor via phone (439-3720), by email ( ) or in person in the Advising and Career Services office in Student Services.