Hours of Operation
Accessibilities Services Coordinator
Accessibility Services Department
New Mexico State University Alamogordo does not discriminate on the basis of disability in admissions, services, access to programs, or employment. Students needing assistance with reasonable accommodations or having questions regarding services for students with disabilities are encouraged to contact Viviane Ackall, Accessibility Services Coordinator, at 575-439-3724. The Non Discriminatory Statement can also be found HERE.
The Accessibility Services Department (ASD) assists individuals with documented disabilities to obtain appropriate academic accommodations. Students with sensory, mobility, learning, or other recognized impairments are encouraged to apply for services through this office. Students who seek assistance are encouraged to contact the ASD Coordinator at 575-439-3724 prior to enrollment in classes to obtain the “Petition for Disabled Student Services” form. This form may then be completed by the student and the authority certifying the disability (i.e., doctor, educational diagnostician, etc.) and returned to ASD. Appropriate reasonable accommodations may then be considered.
Blind and Low Vision Students
New Mexico State University Alamogordo provides specialized equipment and aides at no cost to students.
- CCTV’s (closed-circuit television systems) that can be used to magnify books, handouts, or the blackboard. Arrangements are made through the ASD Coordinator to have CCTV’s placed in classrooms for students.
- Window-Eyes, and Zoom-Text, are adaptive programs available to student, faculty, and staff using our network. Window-Eyes is a text-to-speech synthesis program. Zoom-Text is a screen enlargement program.
- A Braille Printer/embosser using Duxbury software is located in Student Services.
- The ASD Coordinator can assist blind and low vision students in obtaining textbooks on CD through Recordings for the Blind and Dyslexic.
- Tape recorders, MP3, magnifiers, and a talking calculator are available for check out from Student Services.
- Large screen monitors (17 and 21 inch) are located in the Academic Support Center (ASC), as well as the Science Building in room 135 and in the Library.
- Brailed and large print degree plans, financial aid, and general information are available upon request.
- Large print keyboards are available in the library.
- Microscope for the visually impaired is available at the Science Center Laboratory Room 122.
Students with Hearing Disabilities
- Interpreter services are available.
- TTY Phone is located in the library. The telephone number for the TTY is 575-439-3719
- FM Assistive Listening Devices are available to hard of hearing students. These consist of a personal receiver used by the student and a microphone and transmitter used by the instructor.
Students with Learning Disabilities
A wide range of reasonable accommodations are available to students with documented learning disabilities. Much of the assistive technology available to blind and low vision students will also be helpful to those with learning disabilities. Tutoring in Math and English is also readily available in the Math Lab and the ASC.
Students with Orthopedic Disabilities
- All buildings are equipped with electric door openers.
- Registration assistance is available for students whose disability would prevent them from standing in line. Students are also encouraged to register via my.NMSU.edu. This will eliminate the need to stand in line at registration.
- Elevators are located in both the Student Services Building and the Library. Locations are clearly marked.
- An extensive system of ramps makes most areas of the campus fully accessible to those using wheelchairs or other assistive orthopedic devices. Accessible routes are signed.
- The ZIA Trans bus stops at the Protech and Tays Center.
New Mexico State University Alamogordo provides a variety of services to students with special needs:
- Vocational assessment and Career counseling is available free of charge at the Student Services Department.
- Academic counseling.
- Tutoring in English, Math, and Reading is available free of charge at the Academic Support Services (ASC)
- Personal counseling is available free of charge at the Counseling Office located at the Student Union Building. Contact (575)439-3698 or counselingNMSUA@nmsu.edu for an appointment.
- Referral and coordination of services with other agencies such as the Division of Vocational Rehabilitation, Commission for the Blind, The Counseling Center, and The Veterans Administration.