Skip to main content

This is a test

Please disregard

Close Close Icon

Financial Aid FAQ

Financial Aid

Discover your college. Discover your Future!


Financial Aid FAQ

  • How do I apply for financial aid?
    You will need to go to to apply. For the 2016-17 academic year, you will need your previous year’s tax information (2015 tax information). Beginning in 2017-18, you will use the tax information from two years prior (2015 tax information). If you are under the age of 24, you will also need your parent(s) tax information for the applicable year.
  • What does FAFSA cover?
    FAFSA covers Federal Pell Grant, Subsidized/Unsubsidized Student loans, and Work-Study Funding.<./li>
  • What scholarship can I qualify for?
    We recommend you speak with your Financial Aid Advisor for details on scholarship, or applying for scholarship online at Scholar Dollars
  • How do I apply for the lottery Scholarship?
    There is no application for the lottery scholarship, you must complete your qualifying semesters.
  • What is a qualifying semester for the Lottery scholarship?
    The qualifying semester for the lottery scholarship, is the first semester the student is in college. The requirements are 2.5 semester GPA, complete 12 credit hours or more, and be enrolled 1st regular semester after High School graduation or GED completion.
  • How will my financial aid be disbursed?
    Financial Aid and/or Scholarship awards will be automatically applied to the student’s NMSU account through the University Accounts Receivable Office. Any funds remaining, after paying university expenses, will be available to the student through direct deposit or check. Students may sign up for direct deposit through Students that do not elect to have direct deposit may pick up their checks at the Business Office.
  • Why have I not received my financial aid?
    Financial aid cannot be disbursed until your financial aid file is complete. Students can review the status of their financial aid through their and/or by contacting the Financial Aid office. To avoid delay, students should complete their financial aid files accurately and early. Students who have not been awarded financial aid must make payment arrangements at the Business Office.
  • Is there a cut-off date to sign up for classes and receive financial aid?
    There is a cut-off date to add classes for financial aid purposes and that date will be posted at the financial aid counter each semester. Grant and loan financial aid for the first and second eight week sessions will be paid at the beginning of the 16 week semester. Financial aid may not pay for courses added after the cut-off date.
  • What if I don’t attend my classes?
    Students who are paid financial aid and do not attend classes will be liable for all tuition and fees and may be required to repay all or a portion of the financial aid. If you do not attend classes you will NOT be automatically withdrawn from the university. To officially withdraw please go to the Admissions office.
  • Am I required to be degree seeking to receive financial aid?
    To receive financial aid, students must be degree seeking with the NMSU-A Admissions Office. Degree seeking includes enrollment in a degree and/or certificate program.
  • Are there classes that financial aid will not pay for?
    Financial aid will not pay for audit courses or undergraduate courses for which a grade of “C” or better (or grade of “S” if applicable) has already been received.
  • Am I required to notify the Financial Aid office if I receive additional resources?
    Students must notify the Office of Student Financial Aid of any and all additional resources: scholarships, tuition waivers, stipends, WIA, DVR, state or federal awards, and others. All financial aid offers are subject to revision due to changes in policy, law, regulations, or errors of funding. The student is responsible to repay excess funds disbursed due to any of these reasons.
  • How do I apply for a student loan?
    The application for student loans is located in the Financial Aid Office. Students must complete online Entrance Counseling and a Master Promissory Note at prior to loan disbursement.
  • What is the minimum number of credits that I can enroll in and receive a loan disbursement?
    Students receiving loan awards must be enrolled in at least six credit hours.
  • Are there special requirements of a first time borrower?
    First time borrowers must complete an online Entrance Counseling and Master Promissory Note at prior to loan disbursement. First time borrowers also have to wait 30 days after the start of the semester for their loan to disburse.
  • Will my academic progress affect my financial aid?
    Yes. Satisfactory academic progress will be monitored to determine eligibility for financial aid. Satisfactory Academic Progress includes: maintaining a cumulative grade average of 2.0 for undergraduate students; a completion rate of 70% of all attempted credit hours and a maximum time frame to complete a degree (usually 99 attempted credit hours for an associate degree). Contact the Financial Aid office for further details.
  • I am not making satisfactory academic progress, what can I do?
    You can file an appeal, to try to regain financial aid eligibility. It is highly recommended that you provide as much supporting documentation as possible. Appeals with no supporting documentation are at a high risk to be denied.
    It is highly recommended that you have your appeal typed and reviewed prior to submitting to the Financial Aid Office. The Financial Aid Office will not be requesting any additional documentation once the appeal is submitted, so have all supporting documentation in the appeal packet.
  • Do I need to notify Financial Aid Office with any changes of my class schedule?
    It is highly recommended to talk to the financial aid office before making any changes, to see how it could affect your aid.

Questions? Call the Financial Aid office at 575.439.3855.